Talk

Advanced search

BF baby wont take bottle

(29 Posts)
Natnewman14 Sun 30-Nov-14 17:34:31

firstly i am very sorry as i know this subject has been almost done to death but i am unable to find the answer to my question.... basically my 3 month old wont take a bottle i have tried Madela Calma but he wont latch on properly he takes the milk but he just spits it out for no reason? i have also tried TT close to nature this either results in him screaming or just playing with it and takes about half hour for half an oz. im not sure if i need to try a different bottle all together or if i am not giving him long enough to work out what to do with a bottle? so mums out there that didnt introduce a bottle until later on what worked for you and how long did it take?

Momzilla82 Sun 30-Nov-14 17:42:43

I found this helpful.

blog.isisparenting.com/introducing-the-bottle-to-a-breastfed-baby-feed-the-baby-but-protect-the-breastfeeding/

Try giving them some EBM off a teaspoon before you try the bottle so they know it's the same stuff. Make sure its really warm. This works for my Ds2. I have had good results with the new style avent bottles.

If they take some EBM (even 1oz) reward them with a BF afterwards.

Good luck and try to relax. It's really hard. If all else fails my eldest took his EBM out of a tomee tippee beaker at nursery. Total bottle refuser.

Natnewman14 Sun 30-Nov-14 17:56:22

thank you, i shall certainly look into that.
i forgot we have actually tried the new Avent ones as well but no luck. i will try the spoon and i maybe giving the milk to cold as for fear of hurting him. i trying to think if he doesnt take one now then at 6 months he might go onto solids and a beaker but i would really love the option of popping out for a bit of me time. i am glad i choose to BF but just wish we had introduced the bottle sooner. how old can i introduce a beaker??

Lovethebubbles Sun 30-Nov-14 17:57:52

When my DD was a baby, I EBF for 6 months and had an awful struggle getting her to take a bottle. Lots of advice given by HV that didn't work, but one thing that seemed to in the end was me using nipple shields so that it had a plastic feeling like a bottle does. I would start breastfeeding her with the shield on and then quickly transfer to a bottle and after a few attempts it worked and she started taking a bottle on its own. Good luck... I remember finding it all quite distressing so hope you're ok.

Momzilla82 Sun 30-Nov-14 18:20:27

From memory he was 7months when he took tt cup. I have been meaning to try baby cup for a whole as well. Less mess than an doidy cup (wouldn't recommend) but will
Actually be useful later on if it doesn't work for BM. I sympathise. I have a curver box full of types of bottles we tried!!

Momzilla82 Sun 30-Nov-14 18:21:41

www.babycup.co.uk/

Natnewman14 Sun 30-Nov-14 18:27:50

hi lovethebubbles i have considered this as an option i just wondered what bottle finally worked for you? BF is amazing but so much hard work.

Natnewman14 Sun 30-Nov-14 18:37:47

momzilla82 i have read the link and there is some useful tips im hoping when there is will there is a way, although im not sure i totally believe that???

stargirl1701 Sun 30-Nov-14 18:40:26

DD2 will use the NUK bottles with latex teats but won't entertain a silicone teat.

LetticeKnollys Sun 30-Nov-14 18:41:15

Watching with interest.

My 2.5 month old does the same with Avent bottles as the TT ones you mention. The only way to get EBM into him is from a cup which he always took to really well. I have a possibly naive hope that the TT 4m+ sippy cup will be an option when he is 4 months.

squizita Sun 30-Nov-14 18:47:58

Both the types you have tried are quite big and hard- many babies like this but in my experience mine hated that. We use lansinoh which is smaller and softer (a friend found hers loved Tesco 99p cheapie for the same reason).

It took a few tries to work out the temperature and angle too.

Worth a try for 99p!

TheOriginalWinkly Sun 30-Nov-14 18:50:48

DD is almost 5 months, has refused every bottle going, but when I took the teat off and tried it as a cup she drank the lot. Less messily than I would've expected!

Natnewman14 Sun 30-Nov-14 19:04:45

squizita i will certainly try the 99p one nothing ventured and all. i did also try the munchin latch bottle which he point blank-refused i am just so confused with all the different types of bottles you could spend an absolute fortune on them how can there be so many different ones?? im just so overwhelmed i feel like im in a bottle whirl wind. can i ask of those that have managed to get the DD to take a bottle how long did it take you to get them to have a full feed im not sure if i am chopping and changing to often??

redcaryellowcar Sun 30-Nov-14 19:05:21

I don't know how to persuade a baby to take a bottle as was never successful myself but ds2 would sip water from a cup (doidy was easiest but cheap plastic ikea one also worked) when he was about 5 months old (if we held it).

squizita Sun 30-Nov-14 19:37:46

It took us 3 gentle evenings of coaxing and experiment once we had found a bottle she didn't cry/hate near her mouth.
We still feed 1-2 oz at a time. She takes little and often so her feed pattern is different to normal - 2 oz hourly or so. Usually she takes a longer bf 2-3 hourly. But if you heat too much it can't be reheated and some can be wasted. So lots of small portions is best.

Woodenheart Sun 30-Nov-14 19:43:08

I started DD on 1 small bottle ( holds 7ml) of EBM twice week, she would only drink from the Mam Anti Colic bottles.

Woodenheart Sun 30-Nov-14 19:43:59

7 floz not mls blush

squizita Sun 30-Nov-14 21:07:50

Wow 7 fl oz in one bottle I'm jealous! Mine it's heat and snack, heat and snack... lucky dh who has to do that. I just whip the bangers out.

Natnewman14 Mon 01-Dec-14 08:27:46

Thank you for everyone's comments and advice I have a few ideas and different approaches so will let you all know if any work and if so which ones I'm trying to stay positive.

couldbeanyone Mon 01-Dec-14 08:34:27

Are you giving the bottle yourself? You may find it easier if someone else tries with you out of sight and earshot. This was the only way I could get my dd to take a bottle of expressed milk (she was ebf but had occasional bottle when I was out)

Natnewman14 Mon 01-Dec-14 09:04:57

Hi, we have tried both he seems to get less stressed when I offer him the bottle I'm guessing he associates me with getting milk so has no clue what's happening if someone else offers it to him and just screams blue murder.

Heatherbell1978 Mon 01-Dec-14 11:14:03

DS1 is 14 weeks and it took us weeks to get him on a bottle, we started at 3 weeks. Tried every brand but we've now settled on Dr Browns, definitely try this one if you haven't already. But the thing that made the big difference to us was the temperature of the milk. Make it really warm, warmer than you think. We use the microwave which I know you're not meant to but as long as you swirl the milk enough to mix it and test it, it's fine. That was the breakthrough for us.

Eminado Mon 01-Dec-14 11:21:31

NUK bottle with latex teat - finally accepted at 11 mths!

FeelingIrie Mon 01-Dec-14 11:25:40

I tried every bloody teat going. DD would have none of them. Only thing that worked for me was the nipple shield technique. Breastfeed for a couple of days and used the medela nipple shields every single time. That seemed to get her used to the silicone. Then was able to sneak in a bottle. Do make sure the milk is warm. It was such a relief! She was ok with bottle then but massively preferred bf and wouldn't switch between the two sadly. So I had to stop bf as she needed to be able to take a bottle one day a week whilst her dad looks after her. Must say she didn't care whether it was ebm or formula, or which bottle/teat I used, it was getting used to the silicone that was key. Hope this makes sense!

Goo luck OP.

Natnewman14 Mon 01-Dec-14 20:39:25

I have found a bottle called breastflow bottle by first years not sure if anyone else has tried these? I am hoping that will be an option and maybe use nipple Shields as well! Really need him to take a bottle before 11 months as I will be back to work by then sad ! And if that doesn't work I shall be trying a beaker in a few months.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now