Talk

Advanced search

Should I chuck this liquid gold - I mean expressed milk?

(13 Posts)
JustTryEverything Sat 29-Nov-14 22:53:47

Pumped 125ml on Tuesday which has been in fridge. As it's getting towards the end of its storage life, I warmed it about 30 mins ago but DD (6 weeks) just isn't interested.

I'm going to have to pour it away, aren't I?? sobs

CalicoBlue Sat 29-Nov-14 23:00:12

Yes, as it has been heated you will need to throw away.

In future, you can freeze breast milk. I used to donate breast milk to the hospital. I just kept topping up a sterilised freezer bag. You then can use it when needed, it keeps for months.

Thehedgehogsong Sat 29-Nov-14 23:00:42

Yes throw it away sad
Freeze it next time! Pumping is such a faff.

FourthMary Sat 29-Nov-14 23:04:31

I feel for you, it hurts to just chuck it away after all the effort.

I tried to give mine to the cat once to avoid waste, I was even more upset when he turned his nose up at it too.

JustTryEverything Sun 30-Nov-14 05:27:41

Thanks for the advice and sympathy! Fourth that really made me smile - I considered drinking it myself!!

On the freezing front, does it have to be frozen on the same day it's pumped (got another pouch from Weds in the fridge) then how to defrost quickly?

Thanks again smile

lovemakespeace Sun 30-Nov-14 06:22:04

Also if you are trying to get your baby used to the bottle you could just put about 40ml in at a time. That way if not interested you have the rest to try another time.

Just has to be frozen within the 5 days but use immediately once defrosted. I used to sit bag/bottle in hot water. Then swirl to re-mix.

CalicoBlue Sun 30-Nov-14 12:43:42

You can also add fresh milk into the container with frozen milk. Then put back in the freezer. This is what the milk bank asked me to do.

squizita Sun 30-Nov-14 14:17:11

My HV said sterilise an ice cube tray, pop in a zip lock and freeze it as cubes ... and only heat 1 oz at a time!
DD likes a bottle from daddy now and then but can leave an oz at the bottom and I hate chucking it!!

BakingBunty Sun 30-Nov-14 20:19:14

Ice cube tray is a great idea. But not sure if you can freeze milk from a bottle that's been drunk from? Would be delighted to be wrong!

squizita Sun 30-Nov-14 20:52:38

No you can't I don't think? My pump attaches to a bottle base but I decant it into storage, then put it 1 oz at a time into the drinking bottle, feed and if she's still hungry put some more in and heat that.
Bit of a faff but better than waste!

dragonfly007 Sun 30-Nov-14 21:00:07

I personally wouldn't mix milk pumped 24 hours apart or add fresh milk to frozen. It might be fine for a milk bank as that milk is likely to be treated before given to another baby

squizita Sun 30-Nov-14 21:02:32

That's the beauty of the tray - different days milk never mix, but you still have it all in 1 place. Needs a steady hand though!

JustTryEverything Mon 01-Dec-14 09:57:42

Love the ice cube tray idea!! Off to empty pointless frozen water and replace with priceless boob juice instead. Thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now