Talk

Advanced search

Bit worried about mastitis - any advice?

(4 Posts)
Highlove Thu 27-Nov-14 13:55:50

My DD is coming up to nine months. Milk-wise, she's still fully BF. I've being doing BLW for almost three months and in the last week or so she's very suddenly gone from nibbling and playing with food to eating quite a lot at most meals - I'm amazed at how much she can put away all of a sudden! In the same week - I guess related? - she's started sleeping much longer at night and has gone from two full feeds overnight to a little drink once or twice. And of course she's eating less by day, too.

In the morning, my boobs are rock hard like they we're when she was five days old. And because she's eating do much proper food, she's not really draining much during the day so they're constantly feeling full and lumpy. She has just drained one side and it's not now lumpy but is really sore still.

Is this just per for the course and it will sort itself out as my supply settles down? Any advice on avoiding blocked ducts or mastitis in the meantime?

Daisyandbabies Thu 27-Nov-14 14:25:34

You could express just enough to make you comfortable and keep mastitis at bay. This can then be used in her food or sippy cup, etc. I would then slowly reduce how much you express so that it matches her needs x

stargirl1701 Thu 27-Nov-14 22:45:33

Soya lecithin can prevent recurrent blocked ducts.

Littlef00t Fri 28-Nov-14 19:51:43

Ibuprofen if it's sore, it's an anti inflammatory too so will help with swelling that leads to blocked ducts.

In your position I would pump but less than a full feed, and watch TV with a wheat bag on the lumpy boob.

Body should sort itself out quite quickly but sounds like your LO dropped a lot of milk in one go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now