Talk

Advanced search

How to choose a chair for feeding my baby?

(13 Posts)
MissK16 Thu 27-Nov-14 12:20:20

What should I look for? There's so many options I can choose from, but with time I've learnt it's really important to ask other mums about what to buy first. My kitchen is quite small, so I thought about getting a baby booster as opposite to a high chair. Should it be with a tray, or padded..? Are there any specific brands you would recommend or some brands you would avoid?
Thank you!

ThinkIveBeenHacked Thu 27-Nov-14 12:22:55

I would highly recommend the IKEA cheapy. The only flaw it has is that it doesnt fold away. However, its a simple seat unit with four detatchable pole legs, so if you need the space (or are travelling and need to take it with you) is disassembles easily.

The seat can be placed whole into the dishwasher, no padding (which only gets clogged with old food anyways), and its super cheap (£12/15?)

DuelingFanjo Thu 27-Nov-14 12:23:22

The Ikea one is great.

IMO you should get one which is easy to clean with no cushions, cloth bits that can get food on.

My mum has this kind of thing, which she can use as a sewing chair too.

ThinkIveBeenHacked Thu 27-Nov-14 12:24:19

IKEA hihhchair

CMOTDibbler Thu 27-Nov-14 12:24:48

Get an Ikea Antilop. Its cheap, its incredibly easy to clean, and it has a tray so they don't have to be at the table.

Boosters are great for toddlers, but theres a lot of scope for food stickage on them and the chair they are on which may drive you nuts

FifiRocket Thu 27-Nov-14 12:26:01

Avoid anything with fabric or cushioned in my opinion. Foo just gets stuck and they are hard to keep clean. We had the ikea one mentioned and loved it

Imeg Thu 27-Nov-14 16:59:14

We've also got the cheap ikea one which works really well.

We've also got this which is great for out and about eg at relatives' houses or cafes which don't have a high chair - small enough to fit in the changing bag and he seems to find it comfortable.

www.amazon.co.uk/Totseat-Washable-Squashable-Highchair-Circles/dp/B001QC77W0

BertieBotts Thu 27-Nov-14 17:04:20

Everyone on mumsnet loves the ikea one but if you want another option, I had the Fisher Price Healthy Care booster seat which was brilliant. We had the Jungle edition with the play tray. It just seemed to fit well - DS could sit in it at 4 months playing with the toys to "join in" with mealtimes and then as he started to want to try food it was perfect for baby led weaning too. As he got older you can take the tray off and use it at the normal table and while it fit him at 4 months he could still fit into it by about 3 years old which was the point that we stopped using it.

It did totally wreck the chair it was on, though, but if I'd have thought about it I'd have put a plastic tablecloth on it or something before putting the booster seat onto it.

Tray goes in the dishwasher, no fabric parts.

MATB1 Thu 27-Nov-14 17:06:40

Ikea antilop for sure.

KirstyM2014 Thu 27-Nov-14 17:58:21

I have a chicco seat that attaches to a normal chair, you can find them in mother are/toys r us and are about £30 its great and will grow with my lo as it can change height and tray taken off etc....

MissK16 Sat 29-Nov-14 19:25:57

Thank you so much! I ordered the Ikea one, it was £12 + £9 delivery. Ikea also has a great choice of feeding equipment for a very good price. Thanks again))) xxx

dodi1978 Sat 29-Nov-14 22:00:07

Whatever you do, do not take that one www.mothercare.com/Joie-Mimzy-Snacker-Highchair---Owls/650043,default,pd.html#q=high%20chair.

It was horrendous and we threw it out after a few months. We had a baby prone to mega-vomits, and the cover wasn't removable without taking the whole thing part, or alternatively pressure-washing it with the garden hose.!!!

Got the Ikea one and now very happy :--)!

BertieBotts Sat 29-Nov-14 23:21:24

But it's sooo cute with the owls grin

Baby manufacturers know we are total suckers for a cute print, don't they? And no non-parent considers the practicality of such things!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now