Talk

Advanced search

Won't take milk and starting full time nursery help!!

(8 Posts)
KirstyM2014 Wed 26-Nov-14 11:27:48

Exactly that really lo is 7 months old this week is breastfed and has been since birth, I go back to work beginning of January and lo goes to full time nursery butshe won't take milk from cup or bottle. She has dropped amount she feeds in day to probably twice but I'm worried she won't have enough to eat, solids are going OK, prefers to feed herself but I try to feed her either dinner or tea and she will have porridge in morning. Anyone had experience like this and its worked OK?

PuppyMummy Wed 26-Nov-14 16:48:08

no advice but watching with interest as I am in the same situation. mine will be 7 months when I go back (also Jan) but still feeds a lot during the day so I dont know what he is going to do. we are doing blw so only just starting with food.

im hoping if I send milk in then he will have it if he gets really hungry.

mrsmugoo Wed 26-Nov-14 18:08:20

I've been back at work a month now and my 8.5 month old goes to nursery 2 days a week.

Just like you, I was majorly sweating it as he's a bottle refuser and barely eats any solid food.

A friend recommended the avent soft spout sippy cups and he will take a small amount of milk from these.

On nursery days we do two feeds before I drop him off and two feeds in the evening. While he's thee he begrudgingly drinks 3/4oz of formula but they say he's a great eater! (He still hardly eats a thing when I try to feed him)

On non work days I breastfeed as normal. I don't need to pump at work either - was slightly tingly the first week, now it's totally fine. Although pretty sure it's contributed to the return of my period!

juneau Wed 26-Nov-14 18:42:08

Do you pump? If so, will she take your pumped BM from a bottle (perhaps from someone else, not you)?

If it was me I think I'd try pumping and getting my DP/DM to feed her an occasional bottle between now and Jan to get her used to it. Or formula, if that is your preferred option. If bottle doesn't work, then sippy cup.

And if that still doesn't work then I think I'd provide either BM or formula to the nursery and see how they go. When my DC started nursery I was really fearful that they wouldn't eat and wouldn't sleep, but nursery staff are used to these kind of situations and can often get a child to do things the parent worries will be impossible.

KirstyM2014 Wed 26-Nov-14 19:54:24

Hi, thanks all, Juneau, I used to pump but got bored of throwing it away when she didn't drink it, the only person she has taken a bottle off since she started to refuse was my sister but this was at about 7/8 weeks. May try pumping and sending some in, had a bit of success with a tommee tippee sippy cup and water today so fingers crossed it may work with milk also!!

I have mentioned to the nursery about it and were gonna see. How she goes with her taster days as they say notrmally this problem is with children who as a previous post says goes 2\3 sessions a week not full time!

Micah Wed 26-Nov-14 20:23:05

It'll be fine. Both mine were the same. They just breastfed morning and evening, (dc2 in the night as well).

I sent in bottles anyway, but they never took more than an oz or two. Nursery just upped dairy to compensate.

You find they eat really well at nursery with their peers smile

PuppyMummy Wed 26-Nov-14 21:11:05

I express and have tried different bottles and cups. Were onto a free flow cup now and he will play with it and suck/chew it until he realises milk is coming out!
it doesnt matter if I am not in the house, he still wont have it!

I guess we will see what happens!

TheBeanpole Thu 27-Nov-14 15:41:13

DD was 8 months when I went back to work and left with DP who was on paternity leave. She won't take any sort of milk from anything at all, apart from the breast. She's been fine- we did offer daily for a while but she just refused/threw her cup/etc.

She drinks plenty of water, DP offers dairy and she eats cheese/yoghurt. We made her porridge with ebm for a while. Wise BF adviser said that if she wanted it, she would take it. I stopped expressing after a month as it was too depressing chucking it every day.

You might find she reverse cycles and picks up an extra feed at night.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now