Talk

Advanced search

Projectile vomiting vs constipated/blood in poo :(

(10 Posts)
songbird54 Tue 25-Nov-14 06:04:10

My DS is 5 months this week and FF. Recently he has been really vomity, up to 20-30 times a day ranging from small amounts to large amounts projectile vomiting all over him, us, the floor etc.

On the advice of the health visitor we switched normal infant milk for anyone reflux milk, which has helped ease up on the sick, but has made him horrendously constipated. He has been passing pellets with blood in them, and straining/screaming during feeds.

I've tried giving him water but this seems to exacerbate the vomiting. We have also switched back to the infant milk for the last few feeds but now he seems to have the worst of both worlds as he is still passing poo with blood in it and just vomited an awful lot after his 5am feed.

I have given him a few sips of cooled boiled water and tried him with some more milk in case he is still hungry but he doesn't seem to need it and is drifting back to sleep. He has dry lips.

I'm pretty anxious about him tho as don't want him to get dehydrated from the vomiting or for the constipation to get worse, and now don't have a clue what to feed him. Should I take him to the GP asap??

Ginfox Tue 25-Nov-14 06:10:21

Yes definitely get him seen ASAP. Blood in poo is not normal, and a young baby shouldn't have dry lips.

Is he alert and normal otherwise?

songbird54 Tue 25-Nov-14 06:18:24

Yes he's alert and happy as anything.

Ginfox Tue 25-Nov-14 06:25:48

That's good. I would still get him seen today though. HVs are good for general health and development, but specific health probs should be checked by a GP IMO.

Hope you get some help.

Superworm Tue 25-Nov-14 07:36:16

Poor thing, definitely take him to see the GP.

songbird54 Tue 25-Nov-14 08:41:39

Thanks ladies, we now have an appointment booked for 10.30 this morning. Poor boy is having a good sleep.

iwantkhaleesiseyebrows Tue 25-Nov-14 08:46:22

Sounds awful hmm just a quick one but has your GP rules out cows milk protein allergy/intolerance? My DD had projectile vomiting and constipation/loose stools and it turned out to be that. A swap to a hypoallergenic formula sorted out all problems.

Ginfox Tue 25-Nov-14 12:40:30

How did you get on Songbird?

songbird54 Tue 25-Nov-14 13:40:28

It was really helpful seeing the GP, she said he probably has undiagnosed reflux and gave us prescriptions for infant Gaviscon and also lactulose to help with the constipation. He giggled all through the examination so she was happy that it isn't anything more serious but said to come back if it doesn't improve. We're going to try mixing a couple of scoops of the anti reflux milk in with normal infant milk to try and balance out the vomiting while hopefully toning down the constipation... And I'll consider starting solids sooner than 26 weeks if we can't get the balance right with milk, but it was a really reassuring appointment. Phew! Thanks for the advice ladies xx

Ginfox Tue 25-Nov-14 18:46:48

Brilliant. So glad you're getting somewhere. Sounds like you've got a great GP there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now