Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Extended breast feeding, constipated toddler and my weight issues

(6 Posts)
SESthebrave Mon 24-Nov-14 20:41:45

Not sure where to start. Maybe a few facts:
DD is 30mo and BFs on waking and at bedtime and occasionally late afternoon too.
I would like her to self wean but I'm also ready for her to stop.
I suffer with an underactive thyroid
I'm struggling to lose weight. I am 5'6 and weigh 12st11.
My thyroid levels were tested about 4mo ago and were fine, if anything slightly better than needed IYKWIM.
My DD gets constipated and I worry that that is connected with my underactive thyroid and breast milk.

So those are the facts and I guess I feel like I should do something more about my weight and DD's constipation.

Any thoughts or advice please?

Hazchem Mon 24-Nov-14 21:41:28

In terms of your weightloss healthy clean eatign is probably best. From reading about thyroid issues (I'm underactive but controlled with lots of thyroxine) I understand that gluten is not great with thyroid problems so you could look at that maybe and combine with a lower sugar diet (as in the food you eat rather then being on a diet).
Toddler constipation I'd look at fluid and fiber intake first rather then your thyroid. so how much liquid is she having. I was told a little while ago that kids need 7 drinks a day. Not huge massive glasses but they should be having 7 drinks a day. Then also whole food such as veggies and fruit in unproccessed forms (not juice).
Is any of that helpful?

SESthebrave Mon 24-Nov-14 21:58:47

Yes, thank you so much for replying.

I do need to look at my diet and certainly have noticed I get bloated when I eat bread and wondered about a slight gluten intolerance.

I'm trying to stop having heavy meals in the evening and replace with soup. I've also started a weekly exercise class a few weeks ago.

As for DD, she does drink regularly and 90% of her meals are made from fresh. She's having plenty of fruit - sataumas, strawberries, grapes. Last week though she went Tues to Sat without a poo and then when she did poo it was solid and painful.

divingoffthebalcony Mon 24-Nov-14 22:05:27

Constipation is very common in young children and chances are it has nothing to do with her diet or your breastmilk. Some children just have very sluggish digestive systems and it can go on for years. You should take her to the GP - chances are they'll give you Lactulose or Movicol.

SESthebrave Mon 24-Nov-14 22:14:40

Thank you. In a way that's quite reassuring, I appreciate your reply

Hazchem Mon 24-Nov-14 22:46:52

agree that if she is having a healthy diet then a trip to the GP is worthwhile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now