Talk

Advanced search

Every day cluster feeding.

(24 Posts)
ohthegoats Mon 24-Nov-14 20:24:57

When does it stop? Baby is 6 weeks old, I'm sick of it.

If I packed in bf and went to formula, would she still do cluster stuff in the evenings?

Apart from about half an hour off, she's been feeding today since 3pm. It hurts and it's boring, I need it to stop soon. No one tells you that breastfeeding is worse than childbirth!

ThinkIveBeenHacked Mon 24-Nov-14 20:28:58

Cant help with bfing as Ive not done it, but ive FF two babies. DC1 fed rigidly three hourly, DC2 "cluster feeds" but not as extreme as yours - from 4pm to 10/11pm he wants feeding every 1.5/2 hours. Grrrrr.

How difficult BFing is is one of the most well kept secrets from pregnant women (I trid and failed - twice).

Cric Mon 24-Nov-14 20:31:13

It gets better!! I remember saying all the same things and now I miss it. I would say for me things got lots easier somewhere around 2 months. Chocolate and a box set will get you through smile

ohthegoats Mon 24-Nov-14 20:33:50

It's not been technically difficult for me, just tedious and not the lovely cosy thing it was sold as. I'm counting down the days to the 3 month mark

ohthegoats Mon 24-Nov-14 20:36:15

cric - everyone said it gets better by 6 weeks. Now I'm at 6 weeks, it's at 2 months that things will be better!

Cric Mon 24-Nov-14 21:15:27

I kept saying I will give myself 1 more week and then if it is no better then I will formula. Then I would get there and think ok maybe I can do another 2 weeks. Then one day I just stopped thinking about it. Are you getting out and about?? I loved going to see friends and family and camping out with biscuits. I used to read these threads and see people say it gets easier etc and didn't believe them!

ohthegoats Tue 25-Nov-14 04:56:20

I'm out loads. I hate feeding in public, but it's better than endless bloody telly. I'm not a telly watcher do finding it all terribly boring. There is only so much you can resd, especially when your brain is mush.

TeenageMutantNinjaTurtle Tue 25-Nov-14 06:14:07

both of my DC cluster fed in the evenings... and for both of them it turned out they were just tired.

it took us weeks to work it out with the first but when my second started cluster feeding at 3 weeks, we implemented the bedtime routine and in bed for 7.

it took a week or so to get her sorted but I'd feed her and get her in her cot for 7 then pat and ssh her if she woke up. if she wouldn't settle I'd feed her again and get her back in her cot. there were some rocky evenings but generally after a week she started to sleep 7pm-10pm and no more cluster feeding.

we invested in an iPhone app with a video monitor because we were leaving her alone to sleep for those three hrs but you could do the same thing in a moses basket or bouncy chair if you want to be in the same room. I'd advise keeping the lights low and the TV off though....

wigglesrock Tue 25-Nov-14 09:51:46

Just to let you know I have formula fed three children (from birth). Two of them were wild cluster feeders especially from around 4pm to 8pmish.

ohthegoats Tue 25-Nov-14 11:25:25

turtle - that's my ideal plan . We've got a video monitor that we got as a present, wasn't going to use it yet, but I might have to do something for my sanity. She's never slept for more than half an hour in a moses basket or bouncy chair.

I wonder whether it's tiredness here too since she does drop off to sleep on the boob quite a lot.

wiggles - yeah I know that's a risk. But with formula you can spread the load.

Imeg Tue 25-Nov-14 11:28:50

I used to put mine in a sling in the evening if I thought he was tired rather than hungry - gave me a break from feeding while I got dinner ready.

Greenstone Tue 25-Nov-14 11:58:54

Ok, here's the truth about breastfeeding - it's not 6 weeks or 3 months when it gets better. It's whenever your baby is on solids.

Before solids? Tedious, sore, boring, a bit claustrophobic -- if very handy in other ways.

After solids? Brilliant, easy, cheap, handy, and dare I say it - nice.

I think it also helps that after 6 is months life with a baby tends to be similar across the board for parents. Velcro babies often get a bit cheerier once they can sit up etc.
and dads can take breastfed babies out for a whole morning or afternoon on their own.

That's my truth anyway, having railed and railed against the limitations of breastfeeding the first time around. I'm nearly 4 weeks into the second time around and while I've had a few 'oh fuck it I'll switch to formula' moments I'm generally more zen because I have a perspective on how quickly this cluster stage goes in the grand scheme of things. I know that's not helpful though when it's your first. It's quite normal and understandable to dislike breastfeeding intensely at the start because there's not a huuuge amount about it to like in the early days!

Cric Tue 25-Nov-14 18:44:33

Also is it a comfort thing? My DD loved sucking and so at about 8 weeks we gave in to the dummy! But that made a big difference because she could use that for comfort.

ohthegoats Tue 25-Nov-14 21:17:03

We tried a dummy a few weeks ago. Maybe we'll try again now she's a bit older.

stargirl1701 Tue 25-Nov-14 21:39:50

Greenstone, I think you are the first person to say it straight.

DD2 is now 14 weeks and it's marginally easier than it was but not the free and easy way it's made to be. It sure as hell hasn't been easier than ff (which I did with DD1).

I actually feel better. I'm not hanging on to hope from improvement. It'll just be like this until 26 weeks. Ok.

cogitosum Tue 25-Nov-14 21:43:10

The dummy literally saved us! Would recommend.

And I'm still bf at 16 months and it does get easier! I'd say before 6 months... Probably about 12 weeks when they roll and play

Justgotosleepnow Tue 25-Nov-14 21:48:20

If bf hurts and the feeds are taking ages- this doesn't sound great. Have you had the latch and attachment checked by a bf councillor?

Try reading books rather than tv? Netflix?

The antibodies and nutrition you are providing your baby in their perfectly tailored food is the most amazing thing ever. I don't think switching to formula will necessarily give you the freedom you want. Considering you are now fully portable, and bottles are a faff.

I'd say 12 weeks it gets loads easier.

Did you know you don't need to give up bf at 6 months? It's great while they are weaning onto food as you don't need to worry if they are eating enough food, your milk will automatically adjust and compensate. It's amazing!

And can be as good as calpol sometimes for teething pain. It's so lovely to be able to sooth a baby in pain.

Hope it works out ok. Do whatever is right for you x

ohthegoats Tue 25-Nov-14 22:18:12

Ok, so tonight I fed her at 5.30 because that was ehen we got in. She'd been asleep in the car until then, so no shouting. Then kept her massively occupied until 7 - exhausting level of play! But she was cheerful, no crying. Boyfriend did bath then I fed her again, then straight in a sling where she protested for the time it took to make a soup, but clearly she was knackered. Slept for enough time for boyfriend and I to cook and est together for the first time since she was born.

she woke half an hour ago. She's feeding now, then to bed. We'll move the sling action to the crib in a little while when she's used to a schedule.

Feel a bit more in control, even if it only lasts tonight! Fingers crossed for some decent chunks of sleep.

Justgotosleepnow Tue 25-Nov-14 22:23:44

Sounds great!

ohthegoats Wed 26-Nov-14 02:40:28

Just had a 4 hour chunk, so no worse than normal. Still time for a 'bad' night, but so far so good.

Cric Wed 26-Nov-14 06:51:11

Also could do one bottle to gove you a break. I expressed off one side and feed off the other every morning. ( I froze it all ready for hens and weddings) your BF could then do an evening bottle what you do something else.

Cric Wed 26-Nov-14 06:51:51

Sorry bad night.... Typos!!

ohthegoats Wed 26-Nov-14 08:18:26

We've tried to do that since week 3, but if she's having periods of being hungry, I feel as if I can't take the milk off her. All depends on how the morning goes. I can't express at same time as feeding due to massive size of boobs.

so, last night no cluster feed and no difference in overnight feeding. Got a 4 hour then 3 hour stretch, then another sneaky hour. If this would work for a while I'd be very happy.

dreamingofwineandcheese Wed 26-Nov-14 08:21:31

I'm at the 10 week mark with DD and it is getting easier she isn't really cluster feeding anymore which means I can cook and eat dinner while she sits happily in her bouncy chair.

I remember with DS suddenly at 12 weeks it got easier, he fed more efficiently and started going longer between feeds. I know it feels like a pain, I felt the same first time around but when you look back on it it really does feel like such a short time. I know that doesn't help right now though, it's tough.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now