Talk

Advanced search

Did your period return when breastfeeding?

(14 Posts)
Heatherbell1978 Mon 24-Nov-14 10:14:34

DS1 is 13 weeks, ebf and looks like my period has returned. Had stomach cramps last few days but just put it down to my weak pelvic floor! I've had a few issues with bf the last couple of weeks, with LO getting impatient waiting for my letdown. In the early days I had a fast letdown so it's a bit of a turn around. I'm now wondering if perhaps ovulating again is affecting my supply? Does anyone else have any experiences like this?

BaffledSomeMore Mon 24-Nov-14 10:23:06

I did. Both of mine were a reliable indicator that I was due my period in two days' time. A friend of mine told me that it happened with her dc2 too.

MewlingQuim Mon 24-Nov-14 10:23:49

DD was breastfed for a year, breastmilk only until 6months old.

My periods returned when she was 5 months old. It didn't have any effect on my supply though.

I also found that my letdown became less spectacular after the first few weeks. Your DS may just seem impatient because he is having a growth spurt or something. It sounds pretty normal to me smile

RightyTightyLeftyLoosey Mon 24-Nov-14 10:26:32

Me too! Periods returned quite late but even at 2.5 I can tell when am due because DS gets more fidgety and distracted, seems like there is less milk or let down is crap at that time.

RightyTightyLeftyLoosey Mon 24-Nov-14 10:27:50

Or maybe its just the PMT vibes emanating from my body!! grin

Roomba Mon 24-Nov-14 10:29:53

No - first time it was 2.1 years (bf for 23m) and 2nd time I am still waiting (still bf DS2 at 2.4). This is marvellous for me as my periods are awful!

It varies so much though. My mother bf me and her period returned after 6 weeks.

micah Mon 24-Nov-14 10:35:05

yes. DC1 exactly 4 weeks after she was born, and back to a normal pattern straight away. Exclusively breastfed until weaning at 6 months, breastfed until 8 months.

DC2 at 16 weeks, then I'd skip one every so often but pretty much back to normal. Exclusively breastfed until weaning at 6 months, breastfed until 14 months.

mrsmilkymoo Mon 24-Nov-14 11:18:35

Funny you should say this, as I swear I ovulated ten days ago and am now feeling as though af is in the wings. Dreading its return and hoped it would stay away longer as dd is just 16 weeks. Still got a strong letdown though.

misskipper Mon 24-Nov-14 13:25:03

Funnily enough I was going to ask the same question. DD is 8 weeks tomorrow and bf. This morning I got what is either the start of my period or still some delayed post natal bleeding? Not sure which as I thought my post natal bleeding had stopped a few weeks ago. FTM so clueless!

Worried as I just had to give a bottle to DD as she was not satisfied after I offered both sides sad

PuppyMummy Mon 24-Nov-14 14:52:44

yes! mine came back after 3 months! don't think it had any impact on supply though.

mrsmilkymoo Mon 24-Nov-14 15:59:11

Yeah...mine returned not long after posting earlier. Great.

Levismum Mon 24-Nov-14 22:38:52

I ebf dd.
Periods returned at 7 months. Like clockwork but hideously heavy & painful!

TerraNovice Thu 27-Nov-14 16:23:42

DS is nine months old and I've been period free but have had some cramps since yesterday and increased vag discharge for the past week or so when I'd been pretty much dry down below since the birth. Could this mean my period is on its way back? I'm hoping not!

VertdeTerre Fri 28-Nov-14 06:47:43

It's so variable from woman to woman isn't it? Mine returned at 9 months, which coincided with DS beginning to eat solid food in proper quantities, and feeding less at night. I think it's the latter that affects ovulation and therefore periods, something to do with prolactin levels.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now