Talk

Advanced search

Can't figure out why I've nipple pain after 7 months BF?

(11 Posts)
SoonMeansNever Mon 24-Nov-14 02:23:28

Any suggestions welcomed!

Left nipple has been very sore for about two weeks, and I can't figure out the cause. Righty is fine.

DS2 has been BF since birth, had a TT which was divided at 1wo, and we've seen the lactation consultant off and on up til about 4/5mo as he's had a few latch problems which seemed to be caused by his high palate.
All seemed to be resolved as his latch has been fine lately.

I've now had a stinging/burning pain in my left nipple for nearly two weeks, agony during feeds, and sometimes still hurts for up to an hour after, sometimes it'll still be mildly stinging many hours later.

I have checked for thrush - no obvious symptoms on either DS or me.
I'm now wondering if it could be vasospasm/BF Reynauds? The tip of my nipple does go white in the centre when it's hurting - if I put my palm over it the pain goes away with the heat and comes back if I take it away, but I can hardly walk around with my hand down my bra all day!
The other side goes white too, but isn't hurting tho. confused

I am prone to blocked ducts (I get little hard milk grains stuck in the nipple that I have to manually remove), but I've checked a gazillion times and there's nothing there.
There is a tiny area of hard skin/scab formed in the centre, so I'm using Lansinoh to keep the skin soft.

Probably a coincidence, but DS has had diarrhoea for the last week and a half, Doc says a bug, I think it's not helped by the sore boob meaning he's getting less hindmilk than usual as it's so painful to feed on one side.

Any ideas? thanks

LaPetiteCoccinelle Mon 24-Nov-14 02:33:25

My first though was teething cos Ive got pain atm from that. But yours sounds more complexe and painful...

Not sure what to suggest sorry

Mamab33 Mon 24-Nov-14 02:57:45

No personal experience...hopefully someone knowledgeable will be along soon. How do you check for thrush?

CaramellaDeVille Mon 24-Nov-14 04:11:57

I've got the same at the moment, left nipple too! From previous experience with DS I think I'm forming a milk blister or bleb. They're agonising. Mine looks like it's right on the end of my nipple, the skin is sore and whitish if I apply pressure. I'm 10 months in and it's been plain sailing so far. I got one at the same time with DS 4 years ago.

I went to gp who helpfully suggested I give up breastfeeding �� instead I applied hot compresses and eventually it resolved.

Mamab33 Mon 24-Nov-14 10:45:07

How knowledgable! Would put you off seeking GP advice.

SoonMeansNever Mon 24-Nov-14 11:07:55

Thank you for all your replies! cake brew

I've just seen a really lovely locum at the Docs re DSs diarrhoea, she has suggested I try Canesten cream on my nip for a while as it'll do no harm to try treating it as thrush. She pointed out that both mother and baby may have no visible symptoms, but if the pain matches 'thrush pain' ie prolonged burning, it's worth a shot. We'll see what happens!

Mamab33 I checked in DSs mouth to see if he had any white adhesions which were red underneath, I just Googled baby thrush symptoms to find out, there may be other symptoms.

CaramellaDeVille Tue 25-Nov-14 05:13:26

I'd put money on it being a bleb. By some crazy coincidence I've just developed one, on the end of my left nipple. It's just as painful as the last time, was in tears after feeding DD last night.

I'm treating as per kellymom advice, as that worked last time. Hot flannels, Epsom salts and time sad

It literally feels like I'm being skewered through the nipple (plus burning/stinging) for an hour or so after feeds.

CaramellaDeVille Tue 25-Nov-14 05:14:11

I also remember my gp treating it as thrush. I'd forgotten that. I guess it's best to err on the side of caution.

Sunflower1985 Tue 25-Nov-14 19:47:34

I got pain at this time coinciding with weaning. My ds's latch was changing as he adapted to solids. It went away in a few week and now only comes back when he's actively teething.

JustbeNormal Tue 25-Nov-14 20:40:49

I suffered with exactly what you describe when my baby was 10 weeks old. Left side only too. GP treated for thrush even though no obvious symptoms on me or baby. We were prescribed daktarin and it resolved within a few days. Hope you get better soon, I remember it was agony.

SoonMeansNever Tue 02-Dec-14 00:19:56

Update!
I used the Caneston 4/5 times over 3 days, and the pain went - I guess I must have been thrush after all!
I'm very relieved, cos that bloody hurt. Also DS2 has Bronchiolitis and couldn't feed properly for a couple of days so the engorgement hurt like hell, thank goodness the nipple weirdness was sorted!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now