Talk

Advanced search

Medicine and breastfeeding helpneeded

(4 Posts)
Toadsrevisited Sun 23-Nov-14 19:42:56

I've done something really silly and unthinkingly took a capsule of anti diarrhoea medicine on Friday when suffering with a bug. Then realised the packet advised that I should only take it on advice of GP as an currently breastfeeding. I took it at 7am and didn't feed until bedtime at 7pm (DS is 10 months). Two possible side effects: DS hasn't pooed today and in the haze of illness I can't remember if he did yesterday; and I seem to have less full boobs. Really worried- could this have adversely affected DS or milk
production? Anyone done the same and can reassure me?

squizita Sun 23-Nov-14 20:55:11

Breastfed babies can safely go several days without a poo, so if it were my lo (and I'm a poo checker blush ) I wouldn't worry unless there was pain. Mine is 2 months and does mega poos every 2 days.

With the empty breasts surely if DS seems satisfied feeding you haven't "dried up" either - one dose of over the counter medicine I doubt would be that strong. Even if it did a bit, if he's fed since your body would realise and revert soon to normal?

I'm sure it will be ok! smile

mangofizz Sun 23-Nov-14 21:21:17

This should help, nothing at all to worry about

http://www.breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk/wp-content/dibm/diarrhoea.pdf

sanfairyanne Sun 23-Nov-14 22:25:53

they stick that warning on pretty much everything - just covers them as product hasnt been specifically tested on bf women

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now