Talk

Advanced search

Worried about lack of weight gain

(4 Posts)
Eggletina Thu 20-Nov-14 17:05:07

I discovered today that my ebf 14 week old has not put on any weight at all in the last 4 weeks. I feel terrible... I'm not exactly sure why, but I did start only feeding him from one breast per feed (which I read about somewhere) and he always seemed full and satisfied after 1 feed so I thought this was fine. He never really gives hungry signs so I've just been feeding him every 2.5 - 3 hours in the day, with the last feed at 7pm. He usually goes til about 4am for the next feed.
Have I been unintentionally starving him? I feel awful. Today I've offered him both breasts at all feeds and he's continued to feed on the second breast. I'm now worried I've done some damage to him because of this.. Any words of advice or anything to put my mind at rest?!

husbanddoestheironing Thu 20-Nov-14 17:11:33

Don't fret about it, he would likely have been very unsettled and noisy if you had been starving him! I would just carry on offering both sides now at each feed to make sure he is getting enough. When mine were on a growth spurt they would sometimes feed for hours at a time for days. You could get him weighed again in a week or 2 (whatever they recommend now) to check his weight is starting to budge again and reassure yourself flowers

squizita Thu 20-Nov-14 17:17:42

Things like jabs, mild illness and even brain growth can temporarily slow physical growth. My GP called then blips and said many babies have them. smile

Eggletina Thu 20-Nov-14 17:23:21

Thanks both. I'm going to make sure I've got plenty of time for long relaxing feeds, and am getting him weighed again in 2 weeks. Hopefully he'll turn into a podge over the next wee while

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now