Talk

Advanced search

How often to bf at 8 weeks?

(18 Posts)
squizita Thu 20-Nov-14 15:53:10

Dd has been nursed 1 1/2 to 2 hourly since birth. She's 2 months now. She's quite small (HV wants her bigger, GP/nurse say she's fine! ).
She still does this close together feeding eagerly in the evening, so only nurses twice a night, which is great.

I've notice that 8 am - 4pm though, she is less interested when I offer, either fussing or just taking 5 min each side (if that).

My gut instinct is maybe she can go longer and have slightly more at these times - but I don't want to dehydrate her!
I left her to nap as I shopped today and she went 3 hours then did a good boob-flopping feed with no fussing.

How often did your LOs feed at 2 months? smile

UriGeller Thu 20-Nov-14 15:56:04

At that age, Every hour! In my experience, they work it out for themselves. as long as you make yourself available, she'll feed when she needs to and will regulate herself.

clr2014 Thu 20-Nov-14 15:56:24

mine fed every 3-4 hours at that stage. if she needs to get bigger faster than i'd be aiming for 3 hourly during the day... i would wake her to feed her during the day but not at night. keep her awake during feeding by undressing her, rubbing her feet, blowing gently on her face etc.

squizita Thu 20-Nov-14 16:16:37

... I don't think she actually needs to grow. She has good body fat, she's literally short/small like me, my family and DH! Hv has a thing for 25th percentile and under apparently earwigging in the surgery

Miriama Thu 20-Nov-14 19:35:08

My daughter is also eight weeks, but on 91st percentile. She feeds pretty often, every three to four hours or so, and feeds for up to 30 mins a time but she is a guzzler and is nearly six kilos!

pookamoo Thu 20-Nov-14 19:47:38

The baby should really be fed on demand, especially at 8 weeks. That could be hourly, more often than that, or less, depending on when she needs and wants it.

If you try to make her "go longer" you will affect your milk supply.

squizita Thu 20-Nov-14 20:09:20

Poo Yes I feed on demand.
The HV was advocating making her feed every 2 hours. As I mentioned the thing is she doesn't always signal hunger that often and fusses/refuses. She is alert and demanding so I'm asking whether demand works "both ways" ... If she is happy with 3 hour feeds (which don't seen to affect supply overnight for example) should I let her?

squizita Thu 20-Nov-14 20:14:23

She is genuinely less interested in the day as I said. 2 to 3 hrs not 1 to 2.

PenguinsandtheTantrumofDoom Thu 20-Nov-14 20:29:32

Your hv does know that 25% of babies should be 25th centile or below doesn't she?! As long as she is otherwise healthy and alert it is fine to let a bf baby singnal longer periods between feeds - eg 3 hours. Just watch she doesn't exchange day for night

squizita Thu 20-Nov-14 20:49:54

Ooh yeah that would be stressful!
I think she has it worked out because she is far more demanding ... 45 min to an hour and a half between "hungry little bird" face and little nom nom noises ... after 5 pm - like she's bulking up before bedtime! But around nap or play time she seems to lower the priority to 2-3 hr. Tbh my boobs won't let me go over 3 hr nor will my overprotective pfb radar so little chance of that even if she was inclined, which she isnt.

Redling Thu 20-Nov-14 21:07:48

Pookamo the OP was clearly saying that her daughter was by herself going longer between feeds and she wanted to check that was ok, which is the opposite of what you have replied to in which you seem to be insinuating the OP wants to make her daughter wait for feeds?! Anyway OP you sound like you are very alert to what your DD wants so I'm sure you are feeding her exactly as much as she wants and needs. Enjoy the slightly longer gaps!

PenguinsandtheTantrumofDoom Thu 20-Nov-14 21:19:11

That sounds totally normal.

I just mentioned the night/day thing because some genius future world leader babies like my own darling children alert babies figure out quite early that days are funs and nights are boring, so when better to shift all the eating to than nighttime, to free up days for fun. Your DD is just about old enough for starting down that annoying road, so keep an eye out grin

TarkaTheOtter Thu 20-Nov-14 21:23:14

All sounds normal. By 8 weeks feeds will be a lot quicker though so 5 min feeds are not necessarily a sign that she is less interested, maybe she's just more efficient now.

squizita Thu 20-Nov-14 21:27:00

Lol that sounds like the kind of thing she would think! grin Will watch out for it. Showering her with kisses and praise for clustering before bed seems to please her "hey mummy thinks I'm being GOOD for just fulling my face with sweet sweet milk!" (and it ensures a good sleep before her first night feed, which she needs or she's grouchy the next day).

squizita Thu 20-Nov-14 21:31:40

Tarka Yeah I sense she is more efficient and some quick feeds are definitely glug glug glug till she's had her fill. However when I offer and she's not interested it's not the same as a quick feed - she's disinterested and hardly latches/sucks.

Singleandproud Thu 20-Nov-14 21:37:59

As long as she has plenty of wet and dirty nappies, and is alert and not floppy you are doing a great job and continue following her lead.
Also be aware you'll probably be back in a couple of weeks saying she's feeding too often and won't stop....growth spurts are wonderful things.

squizita Thu 20-Nov-14 21:54:51

Yeah NO shortage of nappies! grin

pookamoo Sat 22-Nov-14 00:14:50

Ah sorry, I misread the part where you said "My gut instinct is maybe she can go longer" as you wanting to spread out the feeds... sorry! blush

Man... I would say never wake a sleeping baby! She will let you know when she's hungry! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now