Talk

Advanced search

can you ease wind with bf technique?

(6 Posts)
RudyTuesday Tue 18-Nov-14 00:14:24

DS is suffering with wind. Books say that bf babies have less wind than ff ones- in which case I dread to think what he'd be like if bf hadn't worked out.

A couple of webpages I looked at said to ask a bf consultant for advice if wind is an issue. In the absence of such a person (how do I get one?!) Can I do anything with bf technique to help?

Currently I use infacol before each feed, hold him in what I think is cradle hold during a feed, I wind whenever he comes off breast himself (not always resulting in burp), I've also tried dipping dummy in gripe water after feeds if he's really upset.

He'll scream the place down in evenings and its awful to see him in such a state. Any advice would be really appreciated.

squizita Tue 18-Nov-14 02:43:36

Bf babies often struggle in the 1st months with getting wind UP. It's all in small bubbles not big ones iyswim. Was told this by 2 bf advisors independently of each other.
My dd had a time with it, but then grew out of it as she learned/developed better burping ability. Some babies always fart more than they burp too!

We found DH or another helpful adult would wind better (tired arms on my part) thus was advised. Also holding her tummy down for a while then winding her.
Also advised here to give a bit more milk - it can push things through.

Even perfect feeds with perfect latches got some wind. Now, even a fussy feed on an over full boob has less wind than before. I think it was a tummy maturing issue.

I think "BF means no wind" is a bit like "bf makes you thin" and "never hurts" ... There are some exceptions to the rule AND it's different right at the start.

Errrr2012 Tue 18-Nov-14 02:49:46

Good advice squizita, (how are you? I was only thinking of you earlier!) unfortunately a lot of it is waiting for them to grow out of it, I'm in the same boat.

SnowPetrel Tue 18-Nov-14 03:20:18

Hi, what has always worked to clear trapped wind in the tummy with mine is to sit on the bed with my knees up and baby sitting on my tummy with back against my thighs, facing me. Then tilt baby's bottom slightly up by pulling feet/end of Grobag up gently, i.e. so baby slips down a couple of inches. Then wait 10-15 mins and if trapped wind is the problem you should hear results and have a calmer baby! Experience has taught me to try this before offering Calpol in instances of suspected teething pain, as imo screaming is more often due to wind than teething. Hth.

squizita Tue 18-Nov-14 05:45:54

I'm ok! DD feeding well ... hence nights on MN! grin

RudyTuesday Wed 19-Nov-14 03:41:02

Thanks for the responses!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now