Talk

Advanced search

Milk Blister = Toe Curlingly Painful

(6 Posts)
misskipper Mon 17-Nov-14 03:44:41

LO is almost 7 weeks and bf has been going well (after initial latching issues). My left nipple has been very sore, however the pain has become excruciating and a small white patch has developed. A quick Google search quickly pointed me to Kellymom which had some useful hints on how to manage which included continuing to nurse on the affected side.

So tonight I fed lying down in the dark and was most alarmed when my LO burped up blood. Turns out it is my blood from that nipple.

I really want to avoid mastitis and continue to bf.....please can anyone help? Does anyone have experience of this?

Thanks in advance x

Jessbags001 Mon 17-Nov-14 10:25:33

Get it checked for thrush perhaps (the white patch sounds thrush like)? Might explain why it's been sore for a long time.

Hope it gets better soon for you, nipple pain is agony!

squizita Mon 17-Nov-14 20:48:19

It could be a milk blister or "bleb" - I had one, it was awful. Is the nipple hard, and full/pressurised, with pain near the white bit? Mine bled a tiny bit when I had it. It didn't hurt my dd any!
Heat is really soothing. I think it softens the trapped milk fat? I used to nurse AFTER 20 min with a hot water bottle on the nipple, also hand expresses and squeezed it like a zit in a very hot shower. These got rid of the clang old milk, I had a scab like a burst blister for a day or two.

Some people lance theirs with a sterile needle but I'd it got thar far I'd probably ask a GP or midwife as it sounds gross!

Mine did not return after my home remedies thankfully.

misskipper Tue 18-Nov-14 10:20:03

Thanks for the advice and for putting my mind at rest smile

A couple of days of olive oil, heat and expressing on that side seem to have calmed things down.

I sometimes feel like the breast is blocked inside, so will continue it for a while longer. Am afraid of getting mastitis as my sister had it and has told me how hideous it is.

x

Sid77 Thu 20-Nov-14 14:51:20

If you feel like you've got a block, put some gentle heat on it - hot water bottle or those special microwaveable boob warmers - I had a blood blister on my nipple, which came with a blocked feeling. It was unpleasant, but the heat helped the block and continuing to feed on that side did clear the blister. It just went one day and so did the pain. Mine didn't last long - hope you're has gone by now!

Littlef00t Fri 21-Nov-14 22:15:08

I found ibuprofen really helped along with a wheat pack and pumping.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now