Talk

Advanced search

Anyone nursing a 12mo+ ?

(14 Posts)
KikiShack Sun 16-Nov-14 22:41:33

How often do you bf your LO? I aim to bfeed twice a day, first thing and before bedtime bath, so about 5.30. Sometimes LO is hungry or grabby before nap or in the afternoon. I generally try to give cow milk in a cup but if she persists in trying I'll happily feed once or twice or even more in the day - these extra 'requested' feeds happen 2-3 days a week (she's at nursery or looked after by her dad thrice a week so never on those days)
Is this about average for a 13 month old still nursing - twice ish day?
A friend who doesn't have birth children said she thought this was a lot while I was moaning about LO being rubbish with solids. I know it shouldn't bother me, and she wasn't trying to be rude or judgemental, but LO IS rubbish at solids so I thought I'd ask what others do. TIA

leedy Sun 16-Nov-14 22:45:14

Sounds perfectly normal to me - when mine were that age they fed morning, usually when I got in from work, and bedtime, with the odd extra feed if they asked. DS2 is 2 and is still pretty much in that pattern.

Liveinthepresent Sun 16-Nov-14 22:53:38

Sounds normal here too. Though sadly I only managed to night wean at about 14 months ( a whole other story!) I am at work too so found DS very adaptable. We are now at 17 months on bedtime only and both ready to stop I think.

Iggi999 Sun 16-Nov-14 22:57:03

My 2 and a half year old feeds more than that from me, it sounds perfectly normal - as long as you're both happy.
I suppose the "normal" thing is for a toddler to get all their milk as bm iyswim, so how much cow's milk would your friend view as normal for your dc to have?

MsBug Sun 16-Nov-14 22:59:53

That's what dd had at 13 no - I had to wean her off the afternoon feed when she started nursery.

She was and is a good eater of solid foods so the two aren't necessarily linked.

KikiShack Mon 17-Nov-14 10:31:42

Thanks for the replies, good to see that generally what we're doing seems normal.
I'm very happy with the bf staying how it is, LO can go 24 hours without me ( has done plenty of times when I go out straight from work on her daddy day) and probably longer if necessary but when I'm around she wants me. I am slightly frustrated by the slow progress on solids, but I think I need to remember to trust her to eat what she needs. She's been over the 99.6 centile since about 1mo so at least I don't need to worry about her losing weight by not eating much.

PenguinsandtheTantrumofDoom Mon 17-Nov-14 13:36:13

Very much within normal. DD1 had three feeds a day at that age, Dd2 more like 5-6.smile

MrsHathaway Mon 17-Nov-14 13:43:57

Checking in.

12mo DC3 can go all day (eg 6am-6pm) without a feed, but a more typical pattern for him is six feeds over 24h. He's a great eater.

Demand-led. Shrug. You sound like you're (both) doing fine.

TinyTear Mon 17-Nov-14 13:51:25

totally normal... my nearly 3y old does all evenings and most mornings as well...

At 12m she did morning, home from nursery, and bedtime and on weekends would sometimes sneak in another one...

rmyerspharmacy Mon 17-Nov-14 14:25:01

My 12 month old is down to 3 feeds a day- morning, bedtime and also mid morning (more so that I can get her to nap!) but when I'm at work in the day and she's with her dad (only 3 days a week ATM) she often will make a 100ml bottle of expressed milk last all day even though she's offered it regularly. Running out of expressed milk though now and it's a lot harder to pump so trying to offer whole milk in the day time instead.

Babies all seem different though. I have a friend who is still nursing 4-5 times a day at 14 months and another who stopped right on the babies first birthday and had no issues at all.

If anyone can answer a question though- I need to go away for work in a few weeks for about 3 days. Will I need to pump to maintain supply after feeding for so long? Or can I get away with not doing so for a few days then go back go feeding when I get home?

Thanks in advance for advice (and sorry to hijack the thread..)

TinyTear Mon 17-Nov-14 14:39:19

you will need to pump more for relief than supply...

I have been away on the odd overnight / two day trip (as i get home after DD in bed) and when she was 1 to 2 I took my manual pump and took some for comfort - pump and dump...

the last few trips as she is older haven't bothered and supply is still there, i think

TheABC Mon 17-Nov-14 19:42:35

16month old still nursing twice in the night, plus a bedtime and breakfast session. I am not sure where he puts it all as he usually has four meals and two fruit or yogurt snacks as well.It's on demand for us (I do work in the daytime) and I reckon he will drop it when ready.

Iggi999 Mon 17-Nov-14 20:03:43

Yy to the pumping for relief! I only take the pump part of a breast pump, not even the bottle, and just express some when in the shower while I'm away .

Woodenheart Mon 17-Nov-14 20:11:50

18 month old, if we are home all day;

8am, 11am, 2pm, 7pm, 11pm, 2am, 4am.

I have to admit, its getting too much for me now, i feel very run down, but she screams if I dont, & thats too much also.

When im at work, she goes without from 10am-4pm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now