Talk

Advanced search

A bit worried about my supply

(6 Posts)
blushingmare Sun 16-Nov-14 20:15:59

I don't know if I'm being paranoid, but it feels like we've had one thing after another in the past couple of weeks that has reduced DS' feeding and I'm a bit concerned about its impact on my supply.

First we started weaning and he very quickly went off his milk feeds, even though we're mostly doing baby led and he's not eating much. Then last weekend he got a sickness bug and hardly fed at all for a couple of days and has slowly been getting back to normal this week. Then today he's had a temperature and is really off his feeds again.

I try to pump, but find it really hard to find the time, so haven't been doing it regularly.

How would I know if it's affecting my supply and what should I do if it is/to prevent it?

tiktok Mon 17-Nov-14 08:49:53

I am assuming your baby is well beyond newborn - so supply is not fragile at all in the way you fear.

No need to pump, no need to worry. You will naturally increase your supply when he starts feeding often again.

blushingmare Mon 17-Nov-14 09:42:21

Thanks tiktok - that's great. Yes he is 6mo. Out of interest, what are the signs that your supply isn't meeting demand? I know that the classic things people think of, like feeling empty, not being able to express much, baby feeding constantly, aren't indicators, but how would you know if you did have a dwindling supply?

tiktok Mon 17-Nov-14 11:27:00

I think you need to be aware that maybe you do have a dip in supply, but it does not matter because just as you have a dip, as soon as your baby starts feeding again normally it will rise quickly. I think you are imagining some sort of process where supply dips and then helter-skelters away to not very much and you can do nothing about it. By this time, your basic production line is robust - your milk will not go away. Your use of the word 'dwindling' makes me think you are thinking this way, and there is no need smile

Baby feeding a lot more is not so much a sign of dwindling supply, as a sign the baby is ordering up more....feed him as and when he indicates he wants and you will have sufficient.

blushingmare Mon 17-Nov-14 11:52:22

Thanks. That makes a lot of sense! Yes, I was thinking of it like it would be getting less and less. Great to have it explained properly - many thanks smile

tiktok Mon 17-Nov-14 13:23:07

You and he will be fine smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now