Talk

Advanced search

Baby sleeping through night - should I wake her ?

(16 Posts)
CoolCat2014 Sun 16-Nov-14 06:57:49

My 8 week old bf DD has started sleeping for 8 + hours solid through the night - great except my boobs are like very painful rocks!

Should I still be waking her for a feed at this stage? If not is there anything I can do about the painful boobs?

NotQuiteCockney Sun 16-Nov-14 07:00:36

You absolutely can wake her. You can also express, either by hand or with a pump. If you're not planning on giving her a bottle of expressed milk, just express for comfort, don't try to get as much as you can.

Cric Sun 16-Nov-14 07:00:55

My DD started sleeping through at 8 weeks (until about 18 weeks) and I made the most of every nights sleep I could get! Your boobs will adjust soon enough. And they get used to them waking up again when (if) they do again smile

Innocuoususername Sun 16-Nov-14 07:05:46

By 8 weeks BFP is usually well established and provided she's putting on weight, lots of wet nappies, feeding well at other times I wouldn't wake her. Enjoy the sleep!

What I would say though is don't expect it to last sad both of my EBF babies slept through for a few weeks around this age and then started waking again at the dreaded four month sleep regression. So use this time to catch up on your sleep!

Innocuoususername Sun 16-Nov-14 07:06:41

BF not BFP, stupid phone.

weebairn Sun 16-Nov-14 07:52:10

DO NOT WAKE

ENJOY!! (once your boobs have settled - might take a few days - you can hand express a bit for comfort if you have to)

And yes DD1 slept 10 hours a night from 6 weeks till 4 months then didn't do it again reliably till after 18 months!!! (Sorry)

socially Sun 16-Nov-14 07:56:24

Never wake a sleeping baby. For any reason.

That is my mantra smile

Levismum Sun 16-Nov-14 08:11:02

If a baby is gaining weight, wetting their nappy & healthy, never ever wake at night.

Leave your boobs alone, they will settle down.

Enjoy the sleep!

CoolCat2014 Sun 16-Nov-14 08:13:11

Great, so I'll enjoy the sleep while it lasts! And express a bit to stay comfy (been expressing a bit most mornings anyway).

Wrongornot Sun 16-Nov-14 08:14:03

Don't wake - enjoy the sleep!

Dd slept 12 hours at 8 weeks (and was 10 weeks early so -2 weeks really)

You might be lucky - Since then DD has woken less than half a dozen times during the night. She is now 5.6 grin

TestingTestingWonTooFree Mon 17-Nov-14 22:18:48

My baby will feed while asleep given the opportunity. Maybe less hassle than expressing?

hollie84 Mon 17-Nov-14 22:21:26

I wouldn't wake her - enjoy the sleep while it lasts, chances are you'll get about 8 weeks of it grin

Heatherbell1978 Tue 18-Nov-14 09:29:44

My 12 wk old has just started waking every 2.5 hrs for food again. I'm beyond knackered......make the most of it!

TheFroglet Fri 21-Nov-14 13:14:49

Glad to have found this post, my 8wk boy has been sleeping through for a week now, I woke up in a flood of milk one morning but things have settled now, boobs are noticeably full in the morning but he soon sorts that out! I am getting through a lot of boob pads though.
I never usually do this but am allowing myself a little brag about how fab he is, enjoy it, it almost certainly wont last!!

SASASI Fri 21-Nov-14 15:44:20

Same as froglet! I'm enjoying it while it lasts!

I try to express before DS wakes up, 5 mins on each side & then give DS a bottle couple times a week. Let's us go to cinema or sthing!

BakingBunty Fri 21-Nov-14 16:34:06

DD did the same at 10 weeks... I made the mistake of going to a BF drop in where an over zealous counsellor made me feel dreadful for not waking her. I got far better advice here, which was not to wake her and make the most of the sleep. Anyway, ceased to be an issue when she decided it was far more fun to wake up twice a night! smile Hope you have a longer run of it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now