Talk

Advanced search

Dropping 4th feed at 8 months - too soon?

(7 Posts)
Littlef00t Sat 15-Nov-14 16:53:50

Dd has been on 4 bf at about 7, 11:30, 3, 7 since she was about 7 months. She has been on 3 blw meals a day for about 3 weeks and I'm wondering about dropping the 11:30 feed as it seems to merge into lunch sometimes.

A couple of days ago at a friends we had an early lunch and I didn't even notice til after she had missed her bf, but she didn't ask for next bf early, but when she did it was a good long feed.

The next day I tried her with a snack and lunch an hour later and she was fine, not waking in the night, but worried it might be too soon? She didn't seem to be taking much but obv with bf you can't tell.

coco2303 Sat 15-Nov-14 20:40:01

My daughter is now 16 months and I don't breastfeed her anymore. But by 8 mins she had weaned herself down to 1 feed a day at bedtime. So I would say it isn't too soon and as long as your daughter isn't asking for it she is getting enough from the food u ate giving her.
I didn't wean my daughter until 6 months so it didn't take her long at all to cut down her breastfeeds and her Wright has always been fine so u would just carry on with the food and breastfeed if u feel she us asking for it xx

Littlef00t Sun 16-Nov-14 16:08:13

Thanks coco. I was worried as all the nhs advice is about milk being the main nutrition until 1, but she's eating loads (blw) and it's really handy not having to worry about bf until the afternoon.

Waggamamma Sun 16-Nov-14 17:23:14

By 9months my son was only taking a feed at bedtime. He was given milk in a cup at meal/snack times through the day but never drank much.

Imeg Sun 16-Nov-14 18:03:30

I don't think my 8 month old has read the advice about milk being the main source of nutrition either. He's wolfing down three meals plus snacks and doesn't seem hugely interested in breastfeeding. We're on three a day (first thing, sometime in the afternoon and last thing). Like you we got onto it when we missed the mid-morning feed by accident one day and he didn't seem to be bothered.

Littlef00t Sun 16-Nov-14 19:46:42

Yay, must plan a day of freedom and leave dd with DH. Really frees up my day!

coco2303 Sun 16-Nov-14 21:02:07

Lol and yes the nhs put a lot if emphasis on milk as dairy is fat and obviously babies and children need that. But my daughter is allergic to cows milk so when I was still breastfeeding I had to cut out dairy and she has a dairy free diet and her weight weight is perfect. I believe our babies no what they need so if they don't ask for it enjoy your freedom smile xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now