Talk

Advanced search

Instant formula Vs powdered

(8 Posts)
TheBuggerlugs Fri 14-Nov-14 07:09:48

I stopped BFing My 7wo DD 3 weeks ago and started using Aptamil powder. She's never fed brilliantly on it and has never had a predictable feeding pattern of quantity or feeding times. She's also cried a lot when she hasn't been asleep.

We've just been away for 5 days and she was given Aptamil instant for the full time we were away. She seemed more settled, fed brilliantly and even started to smile.

We got home yesterday and put her back on powder and she cried pretty much constantly from getting home to midnight and she seemed in pain or discomfort. It was heartbreaking and I ended up sobbing.

Has anyone had any experience of this? The instant stuff is thicker looking than the powder......I'm wondering if the instant agrees with her more.......or was yesterday just a bad day?

Help!

dottytablecloth Fri 14-Nov-14 19:57:40

I thought my ds got on better with the instant stuff too so we used that until he was drinking so much it got too £££ to use.

After a few weeks he was fine on the powdered stuff but I always kept a few cartons of instant for when we go out or I wasn't organised at home!

EmbarrassedPossessed Fri 14-Nov-14 19:59:07

It's impossible to tell what the cause for the difference might be. It could be the milk but equally it could be a difference in the environment, a difference in you during the days away, a random fluctuation, a development stage, maybe she's coming down with a cold now... the list could go on.

You could try using the readymade milk for a week and see if there's a difference, or stick with the powder and see if it settles down.

TheBuggerlugs Fri 14-Nov-14 20:05:42

Thanks guys. I've spoken to both Aptamil and my Health Visitor today. Both have advised that the instant stuff tastes differently and is easier to digest. I tried it and it does blush. Any way I'm going to get some comfort blend tomorrow to see how she does and we'll try that for a week before reassessing next weekend.

These babies are a bloody mystery to me.

PenguinsandtheTantrumofDoom Fri 14-Nov-14 21:07:22

You could always try a different formula? I know that they are all 'the same', but some babies seem to get on better with the minor differences in taste/composition in one brand rather than another.

angelopal Fri 14-Nov-14 21:38:35

Not had this but dd was a lot less sicky when we changed from sma to cow and gate. We have always used a combination with powder at home and liquid for out and about.

TheBuggerlugs Sat 15-Nov-14 16:02:58

So my darling DD has refused all attempts to feed her anything other than the instant stuff which has resulted in me getting very upset and he having a total meltdown. We've decided to sod it and are just going to give her instant from now on. Who needs money eh?!

LST Sun 16-Nov-14 10:33:19

Powdered is cheaper so I used that when he was having loads of feeds in the day. But now he's 10mo he only had a feed in the morn and at night so we use pre made now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now