Talk

Advanced search

Not sure what happened tonight but I suddenly don't want to bf anymore...

(10 Posts)
Levismum Fri 14-Nov-14 00:21:42

I don't know if other mothers have experienced this but tonight i just felt like I'd had enough of breastfeeding.

Dd is just over 9 months. Ebf for 6 months. Now down to 3 feeds a day. No big hassle apart from sleep issues.

I was feeding her at bedtime but she was messing about, rolling around etc - justa typical baby when suddenly, I felt real intense irritation. I had to stop feeding her & now I really don't want to feed her again when I go to bed.

What's wrong with me? sadI feel very strange as until tonight i had no plans to stop!

Advice appreciated.

stupidlittlegirl Fri 14-Nov-14 00:24:00

99 9 99

stupidlittlegirl Fri 14-Nov-14 00:24:29

Ophs sorry about that!

FannyFifer Fri 14-Nov-14 00:31:02

I think everyone goes through phases like this, I certainly did, the messing is irritating as hell.

See how you feel tomorrow.

zoemaguire Fri 14-Nov-14 00:37:02

grin that you are down to three feeds a day, that gives me hope for reducing nearly 9mo dd's umpteen daily feeds in the next month or so! Don't beat yourself up, it's stifling sometimes. I've been bf one child or another for most of the last 6 years, and recently I have sometimes felt intensely antsy during feeds. But it doesn't usually last. I'd be lying though if I said I wasn't looking forward to the point where I can feed just morning and evening, having that nice peaceful snuggle with her but not deal with the feeding a wriggling baby in cafes thing, and be able to leave her for more than a couple of hours if I need to! Good luck.

Levismum Fri 14-Nov-14 00:37:12

Thanks for replying. I'm so tired to be honest. All my others were ff & in many ways much easier as i had strict routines for eating & sleeping & naps.

I broke all my own rules & I'm really paying the price now!

I was a bit shocked my how strong the feeling of irritation was tonight. I've never felt like that before. I will see how I feel tomorrow. I've just made my first bottle of formula up. I have occasionly used ready made bottles so I will see how that goes.
Thanks again!

ByTheWishingWell Fri 14-Nov-14 00:39:33

It's normal to feel 'touched out', where you've just had enough of bf. Once or twice, during the bedtime feed, I have suddenly felt I've had enough- of DD chewing on me, pinching me, twisting my other nipple, even just the sucking sensation. My skin crawled, I felt almost revulsion, and just wanted to shove DD away from me to stop her feeding.

I just needed a bit of space and a bit of time to relax, then I gave her a cuddle and the feeling completely vanished.

If you're feeling something along those lines, be kind to yourself! If you have a DP/DH to soothe/ rock your DD if needed, take a glass of wine into a nice hot bath (or whatever else you do to relax!).

Of course, if it's a more permanent feeling than that, don't beat yourself up about it- you've done well to get to 9 months!

Monikita Fri 14-Nov-14 03:41:27

Are you ovulating, is your period due or are you pregnant? I would get exactly the same feelings from when DD1 was around 8 months - turned out it was one of the above.

Levismum Fri 14-Nov-14 07:20:24

None of the above Monikita!
No help with the dc. I'm on my own.

I secretly regret ending up in a situation of co sleeping & feeding to sleep. But now i am & it's incredibly difficult to undo. I hate to see dd distressed due to me being daft & not getting her into a routine months ago like I did the other dc.

I never intended to bf, I can't believe I still am! But stopping seems monumental & almost cruel to dd... So difficult. Everything is about bf not about the reality of it & stopping!

rememberingnothing Fri 14-Nov-14 08:44:59

It's very very normal I think it's called aversion. I had it very strongly to the point where I could see myself putting DD2 out of the window. I found that DD2 used to twiddle my other nipple and it was just too much. Also distractions like phone, kindle help when the feeling gets bad. It will pass.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now