Talk

Advanced search

Breast feeding all day - very upset baby

(10 Posts)
sisihardman2014 Wed 12-Nov-14 21:03:33

My baby boy is 3weeks old and I have been breastfeeding which was going quite well. He has gained weight well...birth weight 7lbs4, now 8lbs12. But he feeds all day with little breaks, he only naps for about an hour through the day and just cries for more when he is not on my breast. I top him up with 60ml of aptamil before bed and he sleeps well, I really want breastfeeding to work but it's so sad and exhausting having a very upset baby who doesn't give me a chance to do anything...like shower!
Sometimes when he has been sleeping he won't take my milk and gets hysterical until he gets a bottle.
Any advice very welcome.

Thank yoooou x

feeona123 Wed 12-Nov-14 23:01:44

They have a growth spurt at 3 weeks, so constant feeding is normal. It should pass in a few days. Keep feeding from the boob to up your supply x

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Wed 12-Nov-14 23:18:06

Nobody told me how much newborns like to be held and the first three months were a revelation!

As your DS is gaining weight and you don't mention him being especially gassy or grumbling all day (which could point to tongue tie, not every midwife spots this) I don't think there's anything wrong. He might like the sensation of being swaddled, not all babies do, there'll be helpful clips on YouTube.

I don't know what you thought about dummies before having him. Some people rethink and find they are a real help in settling babies. Someone kindly bought us a little lullaby toy which our firstborn really took to (even if it did our heads in by week 14!).

I am sure someone will be along soon with other ideas just remember you are doing a great job and very few find it a breeze at this stage.

bf1000 Thu 13-Nov-14 06:33:51

Milk is quicker and easier to get from a bottle. so if baby has slept for longer than normal is prob hungry/thirsty and wanting drink quick. at breast baby has to work. this is why bottles are advised too early unless their is a weight issue. using a formula top up can impact your milk production so although some do use top ups it is always something that worried me too much to do. So although you can use top ups, if not needed medically I would try to avoid if possible.

your baby is 3 weeks - some of the sucking is for food/drink, some is to stimulate/increase milk production in preparation for a growth support, some is for comfort (your baby has been attached to you for 9 months and is now in the big scary, bright, noisy world and sometimes just needs to be close/attached to mum for comfort).
this stage passes

At the moment you need to remember the only thing you need to do is look after your baby (this is your only job). nothing else matters. Forget cleaning, cooking etc - someone else needs to do this. People love to help - let them smile

If a parent, sibling, partner, aunt, friend etc wants to help/visit, ask them to cuddle baby/take for a walk, prepare food etc to help out. use this time to rest/shower look after yourself.

THIS STAGE SOON PASSES - gosh i now miss this stage sometimes

Get a feeding station prepared - TV remote/ snacks and drinks and the phone and relax and enjoy this stage

hubbahubster Thu 13-Nov-14 18:11:44

The first 6-8 weeks are the hardest. But babies change day to day, so don't fret that how yours is at 3 weeks will be how he is for ever! My best advice is, don't fight it. Get chocolate, water, sit on the sofa and feed. Order frozen pizzas. It's not for much longer.

BertieBotts Thu 13-Nov-14 18:26:59

Frequent feeding can be normal in the first few weeks but almost constant feeding/crying isn't (if it's literally constant) - I'm thinking there could be something behind this. It's not something that you need to just accept as normal, unfortunately you might have to shout/fight a bit for some attention though.

Is he sleeping for an hour at a time, or an hour in total?

Is he more settled when upright than lying down, and is he sicky? If so it could be reflux. If only the upright part but not the sick part, possibly silent reflux.

How are your boobs/nipples - any pain or has that stopped now?

Also possibly allergies, something in your diet. But that's hard to pinpoint yourself. Most common one is dairy, but you need to cut it out for 2 weeks to see if it has an effect, and that means reading labels and doing it properly, not just cutting out obvious forms of dairy. I'd explore other avenues first unless you feel this would be fairly easy for you.

I think you really need to see someone in RL who is knowledgeable about BF. Unfortunately that means searching them out yourself, since there is no guarantee that HVs and GPs will be trained in breastfeeding support - most of them aren't.

You can look for your local branch of NCT: www.nct.org.uk/branches

Call the La Leche League helpline: 0845 120 2918

Ask your health visitor if they know of any breastfeeding support groups locally. Children's centres sometimes run them, for example.

Use google to search "IBCLC" and your town or area.

And keep posting. But please try to get some RL help with this.

BertieBotts Thu 13-Nov-14 18:29:07

One top up in a day is very unlikely to cause an issue, if you feel you need to do this then don't suddenly stop it.

BertieBotts Thu 13-Nov-14 18:32:03

Looks like there are quite a few actually OP, I hope you don't mind, I saw your location on your profile.

www.babymaze.co.uk/index.php?act=viewDoc&docId=387

summerlovingliz Thu 13-Nov-14 18:41:06

Have you tried breast compression when you are feeding him, you sort of squeeze milk forward from back of breast and it gets flow coming quicker and easier.. It was a revelation for me and baby sleep 3hrs after 1st time as opposed to 30 mins and then wanting more.. Have you got a breastfeeding support lady to show you?

sisihardman2014 Tue 18-Nov-14 21:53:22

Thanks for all your replies.

The health visitor thought he had a tongue tie but he just has a short tongue, bless him, so takes him longer to feed. I went to a local breastfeeding support group and I have been doing breast compressions which has helped a bit but I just don't seem to have enough milk for him to be satisfied and content through the day. I've tried expressing when he's sleeping and can get about 60ml but I just give it to him straight after he wakes up...I can't imagine being one of these women with breast milk in the freezer! Siiiigh.

Today I gave him 60ml aptamil at midday and 90ml at 9pm, he's defo slept for longer today, about 4hours total. So I've felt better, I'm really gutted not to be exclusively breastfeeding as I so wanted it to work. I've been eating well, drinking loads and baby is constantly stimulating my nipples but my body just doesn't seem to make anymore.

I'm gonna keep going with the combination feeding and see how it goes. I just want him to be content and healthy. Breaks my heart when he cries so hard x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now