Talk

Advanced search

If I could sell my milk...

(20 Posts)
duzzlightyearsmum Tue 11-Nov-14 13:11:48

I would be rich! I already donate to my local milk bank but fill my freezer/ run out of bottles quicker than they can collect! If I could sell the extra excess I could earn a small fortune!!! I am collecting roughly 20oz of milk in breast shells everyday!!! And sorry if this seems insensitive but if I'm told one more time it's a nice problem to have I might just scream! How would they like being soaking wet all day everyday and don't get me started on overnight!!!

(Sorry if offends anyone)

nochangewanted Tue 11-Nov-14 13:19:19

I was like this also. I described myself as a cow. I went up to a J cup. I will say I am glad it was that way and not the other. I was able to give him the start in life I wanted. The one night he slept through though I got mastitis

Greenstone Tue 11-Nov-14 13:28:45

2 oz! Omg woman!

SeptemberBabies Tue 11-Nov-14 13:31:39

Breast shells, there's an idea.

What are they and where can I get them from?

I am constantly soaking and it is doing my head in.

SeptemberBabies Tue 11-Nov-14 13:35:41

I've just googled. Talk to me about breast shells because I might buy some.

Can they be worn all the time or just when feeding? (I leak all the time, more when feeding but also lots in between).

What's the best brand?

duzzlightyearsmum Tue 11-Nov-14 13:46:42

I ordered my breast shells from John Lewis, they're medela I believe (can't check as wearing them as we speak!) I leave mine in my bra all day only take them out overnight. They have helped quite a bit as I previously couldn't go out I was so soaked. They have a little spout in the top to pour the milk out off which is handy but also do have to be careful when leaning forward. Not sure how much they hold, about 2oz I reckon, so I empty them whenever I get a chance to be safe,.

duzzlightyearsmum Tue 11-Nov-14 13:48:26

Posted too early sorry. They leaflet with them said not to wear them all day because having milk I your nipples all day can be an issue (thrush I think) but I haven't had a problem and it keeps me a bit drier. I do still leak out of them sometimes if DD hasn't fed for a while but otherwise they are pretty handy. Xxx

McBaby Tue 11-Nov-14 15:45:17

Breast shells can stimulate your milk supply. I would be wary about using them so often. As someone with an over supply issue I try any thing to avoid extra stimulation. It is nice to have an abundance of milk but there are definite downsides - Mastitis, blocked ducts, pain, engorgement, spraying everything when your baby unlatches plus choking vomiting baby!

duzzlightyearsmum Tue 11-Nov-14 15:51:47

I didn't know they could stimulate your supply? How????

Literally would mean back to square one of not being able to go out if I can't use them as I can only last about twenty minutes without before I soak through two breast pads, bra, vest, jumper and on occasion coat xx

McBaby Tue 11-Nov-14 18:12:35

Where they press in your areola stimulates milk. Hence why the milk pours out where wearing them. There is a little bit at the bottom of this page.

kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/fast-letdown/

McBaby Tue 11-Nov-14 18:19:30

Sorry my toddler needed me!

How old is your baby? And what have you tried to get your supply under control?

duzzlightyearsmum Tue 11-Nov-14 19:34:54

She's 8 weeks and 3 days. Have tried block nursing but was very painful. Haven't been given much advice really xxx

McBaby Tue 11-Nov-14 20:03:30

Check out the kellymom link I sent in over supply.

It would be good to find some real life support from a breastfeeding counsellor or lacation consultant. Bfn website has a list of breastfeeding drop ins or ibclc has a list of local lactation consultants.

It will be controllable it just takes time. I would consider to try and reduce the amount you are using shells a little each day as to not get to engorged. So you try and aboid mastitis or blocked ducts. 20oz a day is a lot considering the average baby drinks 24oz per day. When you have stopped with the shells and are comfortable then think about single sides feeding then block feeding.

In time supply will settle down so will the leaking. I wore pads etc till about 4 months and no longer leak. I have to be v careful about how often I feed so I feed fo each breast the sane no of times each day or I end up massively engorged and leaking.

duzzlightyearsmum Tue 11-Nov-14 20:27:44

Thank you for the advice! I will look over that link and I remain hopeful my supply will calm down smile xxx

jessplussomeonenew Tue 11-Nov-14 21:24:49

There's a helpful article on the la leche league website on oversupply - it suggests some more drastic solutions to reduce oversupply, e.g. short course of the combined pill, though it does make clear these are best practiced with the supervision of a lactation consultant to minimise the risk of going too far the other way.

http://www.llli.org/faq/oversupply.html

EightFiftySix Tue 11-Nov-14 22:04:09

I had a massive oversupply and donated too. Nights were ridiculous. I expect you already have a waterproof sheet or pad down, but I found wearing a couple of sanitary towels (plain, unscented ones!) inside a sport-style bra top kept my bed dry.

Yy to what McBaby said, and if you find breast pads soak too quickly when you're not wearing the shells, try thin sanitary towels. Not glamorous! But at least you can cover up with some winter cardis.

It'll settle down eventually.

stargirl1701 Tue 11-Nov-14 23:45:58

Try soya lecithin to improve your block nursing times and avoid blocked ducts.

I was advised not to try the medication route until 17 weeks. The options are 4-7 days of the combined pill or sudafed. There is a herbal option of sage tea too.

Oversupply is crap. I'm at 12 weeks now. Right breast has settled in supply and demand, and is soft but the left!!! Still battling away with engorgement and forceful letdown.

Noodledoodledoo Wed 12-Nov-14 08:22:30

I have a similar problem. I only wear the shells when feeding as the pressure they apply will make it worse. Also loosen bra on that side so its held in place but not pressing if that makes sense.

I did block feeding for two days and it did help balance it a bit.

The other thing that has worked for me is to express off the side I don't feed from in the morning. Baby sleeps 12-6 most nights so wake very full. This morning she fed and the shell collected 60ml and then I expressed another 130ml after. Not sure what that is in oz prob about 5 in total.

Having got into this habit the rest of the day is easier. I still collect anorher 150ml during the day but not so bad.

AchyMcAcherson Wed 12-Nov-14 08:43:55

I'm afraid I don't have any practical advice, but these people make breast milk ice cream & were looking for suppliers!
You did say you wanted to sell it.

duzzlightyearsmum Wed 12-Nov-14 14:16:56

Thanks for all the advice! I'm going to try and get some better help with it.
I have already frozen two full bottles of milk for the milk bank today. Can't freeze anymore for us as I've run out of bags to freeze it in!

I get an incredibly intense feeling in my breasts which is actually quite painful when they 'fill up'. It is the worst feeling when I'm out because I know it means I'm risking overflowing the breast shells! Really hoping I'll get it under control soon!

Xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now