Talk

Advanced search

Baby with sickness bug. Some questions.

(7 Posts)
blushingmare Sun 09-Nov-14 06:55:05

DS(6mo) has a vomiting bug hmm

He doesn't want to feed at all. His last feed was at 10 last night and he normally feeds every 2-3 hours, but he didn't feed all night and now not interested in feeding this morning. At what point should I be worried about this? He's had two big vomits this morning, but none overnight. I know they can deteriorate so quickly, but don't want to take him to hospital for no reason if he just needs cuddles and sleep and not being poked and prodded about

I had to pump one side at 5am as was really engorged. Should I pump at his normal feed times to maintain supply, or just pump a bit for comfort as needed? I don't want to pump so much that he has to work hard to get some when he tries to feed, but obviously don't want to have supply problems. Or will my supply be robust enough by now to cope?

Thanks if you can advise.

blushingmare Sun 09-Nov-14 06:57:12

Should have said. He's quite happy in himself. Alert and smiley at the moment.

Yesterday he was posseting small amounts of bright yellow sick, but the real proper vomits were just clear in colour.

It started yesterday morning.

wintersdawn Sun 09-Nov-14 07:10:43

Lack of wanting to feed when sick is normal in babies, as long as he doesn't get overly sleepy or floppy for want of a better word I wouldn't panic. Will he take a bottle for a bit of water? He may not want milk on an upset stomach.

blushingmare Sun 09-Nov-14 07:13:58

He won't take a bottle. We only started weaning this week and started using a spouty cup for water, but has no concept of what it's for yet. Will try though thanks.

LaPetiteCoccinelle Sun 09-Nov-14 07:15:26

Weigh him. If he loses 10% of his body weight go to a and e cos he ll need rehydrating (advice given to me by my dr when ds had d and v aged 18months)

ReeseWithoutHerSpoon Sun 09-Nov-14 07:21:15

If he's breast fed just keep offering him a feed every couple of hours or so. Don't worry if he's sick a bit afterwards, he'll get the hydration and nutrition he needs from your milk. Don't worry about offering water either, breast milk is perfect for him. Ring 111 if you're concerned, dd had had about 4 sickness bugs like this and she's only just 2. (And was bf til she was 1) it's so worrying seeing them poorly, but when they bounce back they do so quickly. I hope he's better soon.

Obviously if he's not interested in feeding at all then I'd perhaps ring 111 sooner rather than later.

dancingwitch Sun 09-Nov-14 07:23:36

The thing to monitor is for signs of dehydration as, as well as not feeding, he isn't drinking.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now