Talk

Advanced search

Will my nipples ever recover?

(4 Posts)
Beachmum85 Sat 08-Nov-14 21:37:27

After a horrific 8-month period of bf which included constant cracked, bleeding, sore nipples, mastitis, a huge abscess and months of agony and "feeding through it" (consultant's orders) - which for the record I am so pleased I did, for DD's sake. DD is now 15MO and though I am left scarred by the abscess (physically and mentally), I am generally fit & well again 7 months on.

However, my breasts are hugely deflated which has made my nipples flat and throughout the day seem to go a little inverted in my bra. My nipples also have some scabby (dry milk or dry skin?) bits, which sometimes come off (but I don't want to pick them!) and there are some white patches on the sides of both nipples, in the creases. I assume this is all the aftermath of lactation? But it seems strange so long after bf??

Any experiences/suggestions welcome!!

cdwales Sun 09-Nov-14 12:29:30

Wow you do have stamina and perseverance! Who helped you - La Leche, NCT? BF is a skill and, as with everything else, we are all different! Def take your concerns to a sympathetic GP in case you have something treatable - and chat to someone at NCT as your experience is unusual. Atb

Beachmum85 Sun 09-Nov-14 21:05:27

Not sure I'd call it that cdwales It was an awful time, but also the best of my life with my wonderful DD who I cherish.

My faith in GPs/HVs/so called breastfeeding experts/healthcare in general is diminished tbh. If you're interested my full story is here: http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/breast_and_bottle_feeding/1912739-Breast-Abscess-hell-Want-to-quit-bf-Help

Thanks though smile

fuckwitteryhasform Sun 09-Nov-14 21:11:43

I don't know but I have an inverted nipple too following breastfeeding Dd3 which was a disaster (no issues DD1 and DD2!!) - I think it's the way the nipple healed after it was cracked sad. DD3 is only 12 months but I stopped feeding at 6 weeks and the nipple is still inverted. Can't believe breastfeeding deformed my nipple!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now