Talk

Advanced search

Frothy yellow poo

(14 Posts)
HopefulHamster Sat 08-Nov-14 18:42:54

Hola! As you might guess from the title I have frothy yellow poo happening in a five week old. Yellow, not green. Is this anything to worry about?

Weight gain is fine so far, baby occasionally gets windy symptoms but not out of the ordinary for baby of this age. Only issue is nappy rash that started when I was on antibiotics a couple of weeks ago (off them for a week now).

Could it be foremilk/hindmilk issue or a dairy problem (hope not, love me some dairy but there are allergies in the family) or nothing at all?

I just changed her as she'd done a small poo and there was about two minutes of frothy poo happening while she was on the mat! Other potentially notable things are that occasionally it's heading towards green (but mostly yellow) and she poos a LOT. Ie she might have two or three big poos a day but there's usually a small poo in her nappy with every single fart. Concerning or just her gut developing?

ByTheWishingWell Sat 08-Nov-14 18:46:47

It's perfectly normal. I remember lifting DD's legs to change her nappy when she was a few weeks old and huge arc of yellowy-green foam shot out and up the curtains. grin She also used to have a few poos and several 'messy farts' each day.

TeenageMutantNinjaTurtle Sat 08-Nov-14 18:53:19

I'd say this is totally normal.... Poo should be a sort of mustardy yellow which might look like it has seeds in. A bright green poo can indicate the baby isn't getting enough of the fatty hind milk but a green one every now and again isn't anything to worry about.

And the little poos will sort themselves out. Mine is 4mo now and does one or two big poos a day and the rest of her nappies are just wet. But for several weeks she was sharting into every nappy!

HopefulHamster Sat 08-Nov-14 21:42:40

Thank you, logically I know you're both (probably! ;) ) right, it was just cappuccino style frothy - fascinating and alarming all at once smile. Must remind self that as long as she's putting on weight and happy in herself it can't be that bad a problem.

squizita Sun 09-Nov-14 02:17:59

If it doesn't hurt her and isn't too frequent, it's ok.

she says as a poo obsessing pfb mum

squizita Sun 09-Nov-14 02:19:07

Too frequent being scary - ie clearly the runs!

Bumpandbaby2014 Sun 09-Nov-14 02:29:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Bumpandbaby2014 Sun 09-Nov-14 02:30:07

HopefulHamster Sun 09-Nov-14 09:18:49

Hi BumpandBaby - think we've spoken on Facebook about this, but I haven't looked up the spray yet - will do now!

Thanks Squiz, pretty sure it's not the runs. She had a full pooey nappy this morning and it looked totally normal, ie lots of seedy bits.

This is my second and the poo-obsessing doesn't stop! I did google a lot more poo pics with my pfb though smile

HopefulHamster Sun 09-Nov-14 09:21:01

Link is v helpful too - thank you!

mrsmilkymoo Sun 09-Nov-14 09:57:55

I was shocked at how far DD's poo could shoot out of her bottom - once I ended up with my jeans and shirt covered in it - if I hadn't been in the way I think the wall would have got it! Hers were frothy and yellow and very frequent at that age, there was always a tiny poo stain in every nappy, it seemed. Now at 14 weeks she goes on average once a day but I am finding they are bigger and messier!

Beatrixemerald Sun 09-Nov-14 11:36:00

Like hair mousse coming out of their bum - both normal and pretty funny I think

Bumpandbaby2014 Sun 09-Nov-14 17:57:36

Bumpandbaby2014 Mon 10-Nov-14 10:51:05

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now