Talk

Advanced search

Anyone using nipple shields? Need advice

(7 Posts)
hartmel Sat 08-Nov-14 05:08:57

I just gave birth last week Tuesday to my second child! And just with my first DC my nipples are flat so I have to use a nipple shield..

But this time the milk came in 24 hours after the birth. Where is my first 3 days later..
I have so much milk that after every feed I'm wet and my DD too. I always use a muslin but it just soaks through.

I have tried to pump before each feed but the milk is coming in so quick that my DD chokes on it and we are still getting wet..

Any advice???
I don't know how we can go out if with every feed we will be soaked in breastmilk..

I have thought about pumping and when we go out give it to her via bottle!

Thanks in advance for any tip! grin

PragmaticWench Sat 08-Nov-14 05:30:07

I think your supply should settle down after around five weeks and your letdown become gradually less forceful. Have you tried feeding lying down so your DD is on top of you? The Kellymom website has some good tips for dealing with oversupply and a strong letdown.

Pumping before a feed may stimulate you to produce more milk. Perhaps try hand expressing some off at the start to relieve the pressure? You can also block-feed on each side to reduce supply but be cautious about doing this before your supply is well established.

I had this issue with my DD and it made feeding out and about awkward in the early weeks but eased off after a while. Don't despair!

PragmaticWench Sat 08-Nov-14 05:37:19

Realised I hadn't mentioned nipple shields. I used them for a week with DS as he'd mashed my nipples at the start. I didn't find that they made any difference in regard to feeding other than to make it bearable pain wise. Do you think they're an issue with the amount of milk?

stargirl1701 Sat 08-Nov-14 18:35:25

Shields can help with oversupply and forceful letdown.

www.llli.org/faq/oversupply.html

hartmel Mon 10-Nov-14 17:33:21

Thank you stargirl for the website! I have tried some of the tips they described and so far it works really good! Still have soaked muslin but at least DD and me are not soaked. And she is choking less now.

stargirl1701 Mon 10-Nov-14 18:05:49

That's good news! I kept getting blocked ducts trying to extend the block feeding time until I tried soya lecithin. It made a big difference.

hartmel Tue 11-Nov-14 02:56:32

So far I'm not dealing with blocked ducts. With my first I had it extreme that I started to get fever.. And I cried a lot.

This time it is just the overflow..
On the weekend we went out for dinner and my left side was so full that I couldn't feed my DD before pumping. And I didn't even think about bringing my pump along so I hand expressed and got about 50 ml (2 oz) breast milk and they where still full but comfortable enough that I could feed DD..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now