Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

12wo ff baby dropped night feed

(8 Posts)
Hobby2014 Thu 06-Nov-14 09:57:58

Last bottle 9pm-ish. He used to wake once for a feed between anywhere 2am and 4am. Then morning bottle anywhere between 7 and 9am.
Now he doesn't wake for a bottle during night, but doesn't seem to make up for it in the day. He has 4 bottles of 9oz in day. (9am, 1pm, 5pm, 9pm ish.)

But he's not putting on weight as fast as he was, still putting it on but not like he was. Birth weight was 11lb 7oz, now 16lb 12oz.

Should I make him feed every 3 hours in the day to make up for it? So 9am, 12pm, 3pm, 6pm, 9pm?
I did try yesterday but he didn't take anymore than he has been, as he wasn't hungry enough to finish any bottle so the 5 part bottles = 4 full ones. If that makes sense? But it was only one day I tried it for.

Hobby2014 Thu 06-Nov-14 09:59:39

Ps. I know I'm very lucky he sleeps! Not sure if I should be waking him up at night for a feed if I can get it in him in the day? Or even wake him up when DH goes to work at 5.30, feed him then go back to bed and start 4 bottle routine at 9am?

ghostvitruvius Thu 06-Nov-14 10:02:16

Maybe try offering 5x 8oz bottles. If he doesn't want more though, you can't make him.

katandkits Thu 06-Nov-14 10:03:55

Weight gain does slow down, its normal. If they carried on gaining half a pound a week they would become enormous. Very big birth weight babies also often settle down to a lower centile. Also normal. Follow his lead and just feed him when he is hungry. His weight shows he is clearly not wasting away!

Hobby2014 Thu 06-Nov-14 11:14:43

Thanks for replies. Will see how we go and just feed when he's hungry.

bananapickle84 Fri 07-Nov-14 16:21:12

I wouldn't worry at all. As long as they continue to gain weight your DS will be fine. My DD was sleeping 7pm-6:30am from 8 weeks (she spoilt me as my 8 week old DS is no where near that yet!!) and was fine. They will wake if they want food so rest up and enjoy your baby :-)

KeepSmiling83 Fri 07-Nov-14 19:12:43

My DD stopped having a feed in the night at 13 weeks (she still woke up for hours unfortunately!) She used to feed around every 4 hours from 7am ish. As someone else said, weight gain does slow down. Maybe call your HV if you're worried though.

Chunderella Sat 08-Nov-14 09:18:52

My DD did just the same at that age, although sleeping through didn't last. Sometimes at that age they go through stages of sleeping more and eating less, then eating more and sleeping less. The amount your DS is having is fine, and if he wanted more he would take it. I don't see any reason to worry. 36oz in a day is plenty.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now