Talk

Advanced search

I think my milk is drying up :'(

(12 Posts)
StillPukin Wed 05-Nov-14 21:22:25

I've been bf-ing successfully for 9.5 months now but I think my milk is drying up.
My lg is eating solids now so I had expected my supply to adjust accordingly but I hadnt expected it to almost stop abruptly.
I never seem to get 'full' no matter how long we go between feeds and today she has been a little poorly and has wanted more boob but she has got frustrated with it, keep trying to squeeze or reposition it, then she has been really upset all afternoon and when I gave her her evening meal she wolfed it down + some soup + some fruit + cake. The poor little mite was starving!!
I thought I would always supply whatever was needed, it appears not.

Has anybody any thoughts on increasing supply or shall I just accept its drawing to an end?

Gutted sad

applecatchers36 Wed 05-Nov-14 21:27:28

Bump

Squeakyheart Wed 05-Nov-14 21:31:01

Following as I have been feeling the same! Especially since she is mixed fed and it feels like I am having to top up after bf. Hope someone can come along and help soon!

BananaPie Wed 05-Nov-14 21:31:28

I think it's quite normal not to get that full feeling once the baby is eating well. It doesn't mean your milk is drying up.Persevere - the supply will increase again if she needs more - I expect it was just that she needed an unusually large amount today because she was ill, and your supply hasn't yet had a chance to increase to match it.

PenguinsandtheTantrumofDoom Wed 05-Nov-14 21:32:23

It would be unusual for your supply to drop off in that way after such a long time without an underlying reason - like medication or something.

Not getting 'full' is quite common by this point. Also bear in mind that, if she's poorly and demanding more, your supply might not have caught up. Remember when they are tiny and cluster feed to up your supply? Well a baby feeding lots because they are poorly can be similar - you might find that tomorrow or soon after you seem to have high supply. There is a bit of a time lag! Also, if they are under the weather they can get frustrated with your boob the way they do with everything else!

Nothing in what you've said so far implies the end of bfing. smile

StillPukin Wed 05-Nov-14 21:33:16

Thanks Bananapie, I hope you're right.

Good luck with yours too Squeakyheart.

waddleandtoddle Wed 05-Nov-14 21:34:05

I agree with BananaPie. Keep yourself hydrated too. :-)

StillPukin Wed 05-Nov-14 21:37:05

Thanks Penguins, its been going on for about a week to be honest but today has been markedly different. Nights have been terrible, I've been up 4/5/6 times, its as though she hasnt been satisfied with what she's been getting.
It might just be a growth spurt/poorly reaction. I will bare with it, hopefully we'll get back on track

QueenOfThorns Wed 05-Nov-14 21:40:13

I think what has been said here is correct. DD suddenly started sleeping for 10 hours at 8 months. I had two really uncomfortable nights, then the feeling of fullness disappeared and has been gone ever since (about 6 weeks now). I was also a bit worried, but did some reading and was reassured - I think KellyMom was particularly helpful.

PenguinsandtheTantrumofDoom Wed 05-Nov-14 21:42:37

Is she normally a much better sleeper than that? TBH, it doesn't sound like a baby who isn't satisfied in terms of appetite. It sounds like a baby who is feeling a bit under the weather and, every time she stirs she feels a bit urrrggghh and wants a snuggly cuddle and some milk. That's hard work for you, but totally normal. It's a sign that she sees you and milk as a form of comfort - which is something to be proud of.

Hang in there. Poorly babies are exhausting.

StillPukin Wed 05-Nov-14 21:48:58

She usually wakes 2 or 3 times a night so to be up so much in the night is unusual. The past couple of mornings I've given in around 4:30 and put her in with me and she's slept snuzzling and feeding for 2-3 hours (bliss smile ).

Hopefully we'll get back to normal when she's feeling better (fingers crossed!)

Showy Wed 05-Nov-14 22:02:22

Also bear in mind the developmental spurt at 9/10 months. Usually characterised by poor sleep, inability to self settle, pulling to standing in the cot, frustration. It's the brain making the required connection for walking and they go into overdrive at night. Mine both bf frantically to try and manage it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now