Talk

Advanced search

12 week old - no long gaps between feeds.

(6 Posts)
BiancaDelRio Mon 03-Nov-14 15:10:52

DS is almost 12 weeks and is growing beautifully.

I'm breastfeeding and have just installed a feeding tracker app out of curiosity as I'm hopeless at remembering when he fed last.

Since 7am this morning he's fed seven times and the longest he's gone between feeds is an hour and a half. I don't really do routines and admit that I probably stick him on the boob too often but is this ok for his age?

His feeds are usually between 10 and 18 minutes long. He goes a bit longer between feeds at night (we co-sleep and go to bed at 11. I dream feed him at 11pm and then he wakes at about 2am and 5am).

Should I stop offering as often? Or should we just keep going as we are? I have zero social life so it's not really a problem to be stuck on the sofa feeding endlessly.

noblegiraffe Mon 03-Nov-14 15:15:27

If it's working for you then that's fine. Ditch the tracker, it will only make you paranoid. If you feed less in the day you might find you get more night wakings!

VioletWillow Mon 03-Nov-14 15:23:19

DD is 19 weeks old and occasionally still feeds every hour, normally now she feeds every 90mins -2 hours, when she wants to sleep. This has changed only in the last week or so. She just likes her milk I guess! She is still pretty light, long and lean but not very heavy so I figured she needs the more frequent feeds until she's bigger. Like you it doesn't affect me feeding her so often. She feeds tons through the night though as well so you're lucky there! smile

BiancaDelRio Mon 03-Nov-14 15:28:45

Thanks noble and Violet smile .

I guess there are worse ways to spend my days than on the sofa with brew and MN grin .

I'm delighted he's such a good sleeper. DD wasn't (understatement - she just never slept shock ) and it almost made me lose my mind sad .

I'm going to delete the app. It has also made me paranoid about my good boob/bad boob situation. DS has 80% of his feeds from the good one shock .

noblegiraffe Mon 03-Nov-14 15:45:51

Are you only feeding from one side at a time? That might be why it's so often if you are.

I could only feed DS from one side at a time because he threw everything up if he had both sides...that went on till he was about 7 months hmm

BiancaDelRio Mon 03-Nov-14 15:52:31

He feeds from both most of the time but he definitely prefers the right one.
He starts off on the good one and then moves to the other. DD was the same but it wasn't as pronounced.

We call the left "the dodey boob"!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now