Talk

Advanced search

Red book - Growth Charts ?!?

(20 Posts)
Pink29lady Mon 03-Nov-14 14:57:42

Can anyone help? My HV has just weight my 8 week old baby girl and although she has gained weight she has gone from 25th centile to 2nd? I am worried now that she is not getting enough?? She is happy and content and feeding every 3-4 hours and sleeping 5-6 hours over night. I thought we were doing well but now I'm not so sure?..

FelixTitling Mon 03-Nov-14 15:02:40

Are you breastfeeding?

Iirc the charts in the red books are based on ff babies and not bf babies. It then looks like bf are not putting enough weight on when in fact they're fine, it's just that the 'line' for bf babies is different.

Try googling for a bf chart.

ilovepowerhoop Mon 03-Nov-14 15:07:39

I am sure the newest charts are based on bf babies

Pink29lady Mon 03-Nov-14 15:11:30

Yes I'm BF, made me panic a little sad taking her to be weight again in two weeks just to check. Considering 'breast is best' health professionals do make you panic about it all the time no wonder some many mums change to formula. I will look for the chart now thank you smile

Pink29lady Mon 03-Nov-14 15:12:33

HV did mention the charts were based on FF babies...

TheColdDoesBotherMeAnyway Mon 03-Nov-14 15:14:47

The charts are no longer based on ff babies - since 2010 they have been based on bf infants.

What advice did the HV give?

Pink29lady Mon 03-Nov-14 15:26:32

Just to continue as I am and check her weight in two weeks. She said that charts in red book are based on FF babies. She visited while I was feeding her said I was doing everything right, but I'm not so confident now :/

FelixTitling Mon 03-Nov-14 15:27:58

I stand corrected, sorry for out of date advice.

If your HV weighed her though, and didn't have any concerns, I would think she is doing fine.

loudarts Mon 03-Nov-14 15:47:11

As long as she is having wet and dirty nappies then I would imagine she is fine, some baby's are just smaller than others

hollie84 Mon 03-Nov-14 16:25:20

You're feeding quite infrequently, I'm surprised the HV didn't suggest upping the feeds a bit as her weight gain is slow. I would offer feeds at least every 2 hours in the day and at least both sides at every feed.

Booboostoo Mon 03-Nov-14 17:26:17

Are you feeding on demand? Does she have plenty of wet nappies? Has she regained her birth weight?

As far as I understand it birth weight is a function of how well the placenta worked and then babies adjust up or down to their genetically predisposed weight. Being on the 2nd percentile is not a problem as such, 2% of all babies will be there. The drop can be an indication of failure to thrive but it is less likely to be so if the baby had already gained her birth weight. Either way I would seek a professional opinion to be on the safe side.

Since the HV gave you outdated info on the charts I would be tempted to make an appointment with the GP just to be sure.

Pink29lady Mon 03-Nov-14 17:27:23

Thank you for your advice guys smile Lots of wet and dirty nappies too! I just checked on BF chart and like you said she is pretty much average thankfully. Still I'm going to feed her every 3 hours even if I have to wake her to do so. Just read some interesting information on WHO website too soo feeling reassured ��

Pink29lady Mon 03-Nov-14 17:40:30

Thanks booboostoo yes feeding on demand and it tends to be between 3-4 hours and I always give her both sides too. She has been on 9th centile all along she was 5lbs 11oz the first week after her initial loss and now week 8 weights 9lbs which means she has dropped to 2nd centile. Hoping thing improve next week I'm taking her to be weight again just for peace of mind smile

Booboostoo Mon 03-Nov-14 19:39:47

Sorry I am confused (and sleep deprived with newborn!). Has she dropped from the 25th to the 2nd or from the 9th to the 2nd?

Pink29lady Mon 03-Nov-14 21:32:00

Sorry my mistake it was 9th to 2nd centile smile

hollie84 Mon 03-Nov-14 21:33:53

A drop of one centile isn't a huge worry, but feeding more frequently would be a good idea. How many feeds does she have a day?

Pink29lady Mon 03-Nov-14 23:35:24

She feeds 6-7 times during the day between 7am and 10pm then twice during the night. She is only just below 2nd too. I know I'm fretting... First baby I'm sure it's normal to worry a lot smile

Booboostoo Tue 04-Nov-14 06:46:00

I believe that the recommendation for referrals a drop of two curves or more and that is still cautionary, it doesn't mean there is a problem.

If you are worried make an appointment with your GP, but 2nd percentile is not in itself a cause for concern. Keep in mind also that in these weights small factors can inadvertently influence the measurement, e.g. If your DC did a big ewe right before being weighed the result would appear lower than otherwise.

Pink29lady Tue 04-Nov-14 17:01:23

Thank you for your advice we have seen the GP today for weight and 8 week check he was happy with her told me not to worry and continue as I am. Feeling much better today smile

Booboostoo Tue 04-Nov-14 19:43:57

Great news, well done.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now