Talk

Advanced search

Best pump for smaller boobs?

(10 Posts)
MichelleM27 Mon 03-Nov-14 13:52:58

Looking for recommendations on pumps (preferably electric) that are good for smaller boobs.

I'm desperate to pump but the one I got doesn't seem to be working for me. Medela mini electric - was recommended by a midwife.

Please help!

beckworth Mon 03-Nov-14 18:53:33

I get on well with the avent single electric. The shield is relatively small - so much so that when I rented a hospital grade medela because I was pumping a lot and needed a double, I couldn't work out why I wasn't getting as much as with the avent, and medela customer services said it was because of the shield size.

stargirl1701 Mon 03-Nov-14 18:55:54

You know you can buy differently sized flanges for the Medela pump you have, right?

www.medela.com/IW/en/breastfeeding/good-to-know/right-size-of-breastshield.html

beckworth Mon 03-Nov-14 18:59:53

Or if you ring them and whinge like I did they might send them to you for free smile

MichelleM27 Mon 03-Nov-14 20:56:57

No I didn't know that - thanks! I will try and get one tomorrow then!

Breast feeding is all new to me as I bottle fed my 1st baby but wanted to breast feed my second. Almost gave up on day 2 and broke down in tears sad
Pumping was suggested by the midwife and I haven't been able to pump yet

Maki79 Mon 03-Nov-14 21:00:08

Well done for trying and keep your pecker up!! Pumping is hard work the first go or two, then as long as you stay in a rhythm it'll get easy. Merely swing worked well for me.

AnythingNotEverything Mon 03-Nov-14 21:02:23

So e women can't pump. No indicator of supply. You might find you get nothing or very little regardless of what pump you use.

Also, why are you being advised to pump rather than offer more milk directly? Baby is much more efficient at getting milk out than the pump.

ElleDubloo Tue 04-Nov-14 09:44:43

I was a size A before pregnancy, now a size B and exclusively breastfeeding my 10-day-old baby. I have a Medela Swing and use the default flange supplied with it - it fits very well. I suspect it's the size of the nipple and areola that matters, not the whole breast, because all you need to do is make sure that all of the nipple and a small margin of areola moves freely into the tube. Try a range of flanges and see what suits you.

Hedgehogging Tue 04-Nov-14 16:16:03

Small boobs here too and I ended up getting on much better with the smaller (21mm??) flange for the medela than the standard one supplied.

Still not exactly drowning in EBM but a definite improvement grin.

MichelleM27 Wed 05-Nov-14 04:32:23

Thanks for all your responses!

I managed to pump yesterday! Didn't do anything different so I've put it doe to my milk supply being better as I was only on day 5 yesterday!

Glad I stuck with it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now