Talk

Advanced search

Baby refusing second breast

(3 Posts)
tak1ngchances Mon 03-Nov-14 08:10:06

Baby is 5 and a half weeks old and until now has done a v reliable and consistent 18-25 mins per breast, always taking the second side after a good burp.
Now she is taking the first side in a kind of frantic way, pulling off halfway through to cough and burp then refuses to latch on to the next breast. She nuzzles the nipple but then grimaces and pushes away. She will take maybe 1 or 2 mins worth and that's it.
She will return to the first breast eventually for another few mins.

This all means that feeds are taking longer with less time actually feeding and much more time thrashing about and wrestling.

Any ideas what's going on?? Should I switch to one breast per feed?

LaurieMarlow Mon 03-Nov-14 10:57:56

How's her weight gain? If it's good, there's no need to worry about the second breast. My DS only ever fed from 1 breast at a time.

Based on what you've said, my best guess is over supply/strong let down. This would explain the frantic behaviour as your LO is trying to cope with the fast flow at the start of a feed. She then doesn't want to go through the same thing again on the second breast when she's already nice and full. If this is the case, then you're better off offering only 1 breast as that will help regulate your supply.

Do you feel like you've got a lot of milk?

tak1ngchances Mon 03-Nov-14 11:11:36

In the mornings yes I feel totally full of milk. By the evenings I wonder if there's anything there at all!
Haven't had her weighed for 2 weeks but I'll go to the clinic tomorrow maybe

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now