Talk

Advanced search

How to get impatient baby to work for the hind milk

(10 Posts)
Iammrsbeckham Thu 30-Oct-14 18:26:37

Any tips on how to get an impatient 14 week old to hang around for the hind milk? He has started slipping off his percentile line and I think it is because he is having too much fore milk and not enough hind milk. His poo has been greenish for the last few days which I think is a sign.

Once the easy milk has gone he just fights the breast, pulling off and in a rush to get to the other one. No amount of coaxing will get him to stay on.

I do breast compression but it doesn't seem to help it come quicker.

I have previously posted about low supply and DS fussing but I think it might be more to do with in patience than supply.

Thanks in advance

squizita Thu 30-Oct-14 18:52:05

Maybe take a 5 or 10 min break? I do this when dd fusses.
As I understand 2 short sessions is the same calories and fat as a long feed. There's no switch point from fore to hind milk. Total feed is important (also some babies eat fast others slow).

mangofizz Thu 30-Oct-14 20:23:12

Only intake is important, if baby is fussing because you are trying to make them go longer it means they have finished!

How much has the weight slipped by? Could just be normal

Hakluyt Thu 30-Oct-14 20:25:35

I thought the fore milk/hind milk thing wasn't thought to be a "thing" any more?

AnythingNotEverything Thu 30-Oct-14 20:25:58

Moving around the centile lines isn't a concern. If otherwise well crossing two lines is an issues, but slipping between them is normal.

I agree with the above. I wouldn't worry about fore and hind milk. Just feed. Offer feeds more often of you want to get more into him. His stomach can only hold so much, but they can surprise you how often they can take another feed.

PenguinsIsSleepDeprived Thu 30-Oct-14 21:31:45

Have a read on kellymom about foremilk / hindmilk. It really isn't a thing like that. You don't need to artificially force feed lengths. smile

tiktok Thu 30-Oct-14 22:08:14

Iammrsbeckham, sounds like you have no need to be concerned. Healthy babies of a normal weight (and moving off a centile is perfectly normal) at 14 weeks old can be trusted to take what they need when they need it - no need to do breast compression or coaxing or whatever, as it's not necessary.

Just go with the flow smile

tiktok Thu 30-Oct-14 22:08:38

Green poo is also within normal.

Iammrsbeckham Fri 31-Oct-14 00:07:49

Thanks for your replies. Ok, so it seems I need to stop panicking and just go with the flow a bit more. I am just really pleased to have got this far that I don't want to ruin it. R

ouryve Fri 31-Oct-14 00:23:00

Whether foremilk/hindmilk is a thing or not, it's good practice to, if you feed from both breasts in one session, to start on the breast that you finished on, last time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now