Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Painful poo after formula?

(7 Posts)
Heatherbell1978 Thu 30-Oct-14 09:01:09

DS1 is 10 wks and ebf. We've worked quite hard at getting him on a bottle so I can have some freedom occasionally. Just yesterday and the day before I thought I'd try some formula to see if he would take it (albeit I've created quite a stash of frozen milk). Thankfully he will. Guzzled down Hipp on Tuesday and yesterday we tried SMA. Anyway, last night he did his usual and pooed during one of his nappy changes but he screamed and was crying a lot after. He never does this so can formula cause painful poos? Was runny so not constipated.

Monathevampire1 Thu 30-Oct-14 15:30:08

You've given a tiny and very new tummy quite a mixture in a fairly short period. Breast, Hipp & SMA so he may well have a bit of tummy ache. Be careful runny poo can still mean constipation. I'd go back to EBF either by nursing or expressing and just let his tummy settle.

squizita Thu 30-Oct-14 18:57:32

Interesting - I need to stash breast milk and have some sma set aside just in case.

I wonder if it's the combo of brands?

Heatherbell1978 Thu 30-Oct-14 21:17:15

squizita I guess it could be the SMA as that's what we gave him yesterday so perhaps I won't use that again. We tried him with Aptamil weeks ago but he wouldn't take it but we were having issues with the bottle at that point too so it was probably more to do with that. Hipp is meant to be best for fussy babies so I might just stick with that.

Redling Thu 30-Oct-14 21:48:50

DS was switching between Aptimil and Breast milk and never seemed to have extra discomfort beyond usual wind. Perhaps it made him a bit windier and that is the cause? I doubt it stings on the way out or anything!

Babybaby24 Fri 31-Oct-14 10:12:03

Formula is renowned for giving babies constipation. I would take it slowly with the formula, it is a very new little gut. You won't get it with breast milk. Also even if it is runny it could still be constipation as there may be a blockage.

amandabarnes01 Fri 31-Oct-14 13:18:39

Try feeding him some water after his formula. Ours was also constipated but it turns out she just needed more water in her diet smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now