Talk

Advanced search

I've gone Cold turkey.. It hurts

(4 Posts)
Superchop Sun 26-Oct-14 19:33:27

I've finally made the decision to give up breast feeding my ds now he is a few days from turning one. I've chosen to do it during half term when I don't have to get up as early because the majority of his feeds were in the night to resettle him.

Usual day would be wake up at 7am no feeds until 5pm when we are reunited. :-) then 7.30 pm feed to sleep (he has 3meals a day etc).

We were having loads of difficulties with him waking throughout the night and bf for comfort, for ease for me and dp he would end up in our bed and feed intermittently through the early hours. I decided it wasn't working and he was screeching a lot for no real reason so I stopped yesterday!

We bought fast flow teats and cows milk has gone down really well before bed and when he wakes up. He was very difficult in the night waking nearly every 2 hours screaming, I think he's shocked he's not cuddled up in bed with bm on tap, poor little thing :'(

Well after my life story, I was wondering if anyone has any advice how to help engorgement because my left boob looks like the Incredible Hulk (but less green) it's causing me a lot of pain. I've hand expressed to try to reduce the pressure but I suppose if I want my milk to dry up I don't know how much I should be expressing. Also how much cows milk should I be offering now? Has anyone got any success stories of weaning at 1yo it's hard but I think it will help us all in the long run. I know We will all miss bf xx

luckiestgirlintheworld Thu 30-Oct-14 15:33:16

No advice as my DS is still 8 months and we too plan to wean off breast when he's 1.

How's the engorgement now?

SquidgyMaltLoaf Fri 31-Oct-14 09:23:46

Try cabbage leaves and ibuprofen. I sympathise - I've just had to go cold turkey from ebf (dd is four months old) and not through choice, and it does hurt.

Superchop Fri 31-Oct-14 17:13:34

Had an awful awful day the next day where I felt completely off the planet, I couldn't even hold him because it was so sensitive. Amazingly they have adjusted so quickly and only sensitive when pushed, still look quite full but I can wear an underwire!

Ds is doing amazingly well sleeping through I am truly shocked. But... His poo really stinks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now