Talk

Advanced search

Preventing tongue tie next time - alternative to folic acid (genetic malabsorpsion?)

(8 Posts)
CityDweller Tue 16-Sep-14 09:41:15

I'm hoping someone will know/ remember what I'm talking about here...

A while ago there was a thread on here that linked to some articles about how a genetic inability to properly absorb folic acid might be related to midline issues (e.g. tongue tie, foreskin problems) in infants. DD had significant tongue tie that was a nightmare in the first 6 months. While we're still bf now (17 months) I'm keen to do all I can to not go through that should we have another baby. In the thread I'm referring to, someone was talking about how some people could/ should take something instead of folic acid, but I can't remember any of the details. Does anyone know what I'm talking about???

ilovetosleep Tue 16-Sep-14 11:05:39

Watching with interest as both my DSs have TT and foreskin problems. Want to have a third but the TT troubles particularly have been so stressful!

mawbroon Tue 16-Sep-14 14:07:11

I know what you are meaning, but I can't remember the specifics either.

Something about folate rather than folic acid IIRC. But I don't think there is "proof" of any of this at this stage because it is all fairly new.

It is very interesting though.

CityDweller Tue 16-Sep-14 14:57:43

I just came up with this www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3250974/ talks about taking l-methylfolate instead of folic acid as it's more bio-available.

minipie Tue 23-Sep-14 23:47:38

Hi

I think I may have this genetic issue - DD has a few minor midline issues incl TT and sacral dimple, and my dad also shows signs of it as he's always
low in the relevant vitamins/minerals despite supplements and a good diet. I think it's called the MTHFR gene (I may have the letters the wrong way round).

I'm now pregnant again and I am taking antenatal vits made by this company which are the only ones I found which give the recommended folate dose entirely from methyl folate rather than folic acid (Pregnacare Max does 50/50 folic acid and methyl folate). They also have more bioavailable versions of other vits eg B12 - I believe those with the mthfr thing also tend to have issues absorbing b12.

anyway who knows if it will make a difference but I feel I'm doing what I can. They are on the expensive side mind you but on the other hand I think I'm paying for quality and not loads of advertising.

The fact that Pregnacare have made their top range product 50/50 folic acid and methyl folate makes me think it's not just speculation?

JugglingChaotically Tue 23-Sep-14 23:55:30

We were told it was genetic and them did discover links in family.
Struggled for a few days then saw maxio facial (I think) surgeon. The change in feeding was almost instant.

minipie Wed 24-Sep-14 00:01:30

I did a search for methyl folate on mumsnet and discovered a couple of interesting things:

1) there are quite a few ladies having long term difficulties conceiving, who think mthfr may be linked to that and so are taking methyl folate

2) underactive thyroid (which I also have) may be linked to or, alternatively (different theories exist) may have similar effects to mthfr.

AndyJohnsonCreek Sun 19-Feb-17 19:17:25

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now