Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

feeding on demand

(12 Posts)
redballoon3 Tue 09-Sep-14 20:26:33

My baby is 11 days old and doing well, despite a really traumatic entry into the world (60 hour labour, meconian in the waters, induction and finally an emergency c-section).

She is gaining weight, wees and poos well and when awake is very alert and fun. Only thing is that her eating is a bit sporadic. She is feeding 8 - 10 times a day, but in the mornings the feeds are very spread out - sometimes with a gap of around 4/5hours, but in the evening/ at night she really crams them in and feeds every hour or two. We've tried getting her to feed every 3 hours, but it doesn't work. I'm trying to focus on feeding on demand and having faith in my daughter telling us when she's hungry, but it still does concern me that there are these big gaps...

Has anyone had a similar experience?

middlings Tue 09-Sep-14 20:30:53

Congratulations on your DD redballoon3 flowers.

I would say that 5 hours is a long time at this age, but her evening feeds sound completely normal. Can you try and encourage her a bit more in the morning time? Tickle her feet? Take off a layer of clothing? Stroke her face? Are you doing lots of skin to skin so that she can smell your milk?

DD1 was similar and at this age, I used to consider even a five/ten minute feed a win.

bambinibop Tue 09-Sep-14 21:29:43

I agree I think I was told not to go more than 4/5 hours between feeds at this age having said that the wet dirty nappies are the best way to tell everything is going okay and sometimes you do have to trust your baby. I do remember having this with my dd too I just kept offering breastfeed every couple of hours and kept an eye on nappies. If she's alert when awake that's a great sign too.
Congratulations on your baby

Gagesb1 Wed 10-Sep-14 20:19:04

We're having this at the moment. Not many feeds in the morning with dd sleeping lots. Then dd becomes more awake in the evening with feeds. We're concerned today as she hasn't had a pooey nappy today.

bambinibop Wed 10-Sep-14 20:24:46

Gagesb1 how old is she? My dd did used to go days without a poo sometimes I think he longest was about 4 day! Keep an eye on it but I'd say if she has plenty of wet nappies and is alert and happy when she's awake it will be fine smile just keep on offering her food and try tickling her feet to keep her awake when feeding!

hollie84 Wed 10-Sep-14 21:06:13

Days between poos is normal after about 4-6 weeks, but in a newborn can mean they aren't feeding enough.

redballoon I would try going to bed with your baby in the mornings, get some skin to skin time and you can doze while hopefully she'll feed more.

Gagesb1 Wed 10-Sep-14 21:26:25

DD is 4 days old. Plenty of wet nappies thou. DD is feeding a lot better today after bf misktakes yesterday.

Pointlessfan Wed 10-Sep-14 21:31:18

I remember getting quite stressed about the evening cluster feeding, or "feeding frenzy" as I called it. It only lasted a few weeks, good excuse to watch tv and get somebody else to make dinner! Don't worry, it's normal.

hollie84 Wed 10-Sep-14 21:32:40

Gages - I would let your midwife know about the lack of poo.

bambinibop Wed 10-Sep-14 21:46:43

Gages yes I think 4 days old probably best to let midwife know but I'm sure everything is fine just keep an eye on wet nappies I bet she will poo soon!

bambinibop Wed 10-Sep-14 21:47:25

And congratulations everyone will their newborns smile

Gagesb1 Wed 10-Sep-14 21:53:51

Thanks all. Everyone has been so helpful to us ftp. We'll let the midwife know if things don't change.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now