Advanced search

Been told to switch from BFing to FF... How do I do it?

(16 Posts)
ItWasMyOwnSilence Tue 12-Aug-14 17:26:16

Been told that DD2 5 months who has multiple allergies is ebf needs to go onto a hypoallergenic formula ASAP.

I'm already eliminating multiple foods from my diet but she still has inflammation in her bowel and in order to reduce the risk of long term damage I have been told she needs to move over to the hypoallergenic milk sooner rather than later.

I feel very upset, very confused and very emotional about the whole thing.

DD2 refuses to take a bottle. I put it in her mouth and she doesn't know how to latch onto it.

After 2 hours without a feed she is desperate for the comfort of my breasts and I cannot hold her without her nuzzling and head banging for food.

I need some advice on how to get her to take a bottle please and to make the move away from breastfeeding less stressful for both.

Also posted in 'allergies' re the allergies side of things.

Thanks thanks.

Imeg Tue 12-Aug-14 17:46:45

I may have to change my 5 month old baby so have been looking into this - the advice I have had seems to be that if at all possible you need to get somebody else to feed them the bottles and ideally you go out for the day or weekend or at the very least at feeding time so they can't smell your milk.
Other suggestions people have given me:
- get the fastest flow teat possible, possibly make extra holes in it
- try different formula brands and types of bottle in case there's one that they prefer
- try an open cup/sippy cup

But I'm still scared of actually doing it (and the reasons for doing it are less urgent) so will be watching this for any other tips!

I hope it goes smoothly for you and the hypoallergenic formula does the job.

Imeg Tue 12-Aug-14 17:47:57

PS sorry sleepless night - of course you can't try different formula brands... Good luck.

whitemusk Tue 12-Aug-14 17:54:47

Can you get a second opinion? It is very rare indeed that a hypoallergenic formula would be better than going on an exclusion diet. There is a facebook group for babies with Cows Milk Protein Allergies and other allergies which is full of very informed mums. If you do decide to wean this must be done very very slowly or you could get mastitis and you also need to know how she takes to the new formula so you need the option to revert to fully breastfed if necessary going very very slowly is safer. The website is called and the facebook is All allergies and tolerances are discussed... I would look for help there as a start.

whitemusk Tue 12-Aug-14 18:21:25

PS More reading (couldn't find it before as not at home) and here and an exclusion diet for you here

ItWasMyOwnSilence Tue 12-Aug-14 19:21:27

Thank you imeg I've tried Tommee Tippee and Avent bottles, but I'll buy a couple more, I've heard good things about MAM?

I will also try an open cup, I tried a sippy cup a month or so ago (a free flow one) but DD choked as it came out so fast. She may be better now though.

I think we may have to go down the route of me leaving her with DH for a couple of days. It seems so brutal though as she's so tiny and will be so confused.

Good luck with your switch if you do do it.

ItWasMyOwnSilence Tue 12-Aug-14 19:27:00

whitemusk thank you for all the links - I'll have a read.

Unfortunately as well as CMP allergy DD also allergic to egg, soya and wheat.

I would love to speak to someone about a second opinion but my GP surgery are pretty clueless and there's a long wait to see the consultant at the hospital.

I am of the same opinion as you that surely finding a solution that enables DD to still be breastfed is ideal and do not understand why a hypoallergenic formula is being pushed as the best solution.

callamia Tue 12-Aug-14 19:33:07

We used a nuk soft spout for milk from about five months. It started a little messy, but it improved. I'm sorry to hear that your daughter is having such a tough time. I hope unhappy improve for you both soon.

ElephantsNeverForgive Tue 12-Aug-14 19:34:49

Try the NCT and lalac league

ElephantsNeverForgive Tue 12-Aug-14 19:39:34

Sorry diabolical spelling, le leche league

Both may have advisors who can help.

It's amazing how doctors think you just stick a bottle in the mouth of a baby thats been EBF for five months and they just take it.

DD2, who had fallen off their previous graph certainly wouldn't.

ItWasMyOwnSilence Tue 12-Aug-14 19:44:31

callamia I have just been looking at the nuk soft spout cup and it is definitely worth a try, thank you. I think a soft spout is definitely preferable to a hard plastic one.

ItWasMyOwnSilence Tue 12-Aug-14 19:47:45

Thank you ElephantsNeverForgive I will give them a call.

DD1 was a bottle refuser too hmm.

naty1 Wed 13-Aug-14 09:07:46

Maybe a spoon so they can taste a bit?

ItWasMyOwnSilence Fri 15-Aug-14 17:10:24

Thanks for your support everyone, I actually sought a second opinion yesterday from my GP and it was agreed that I should continue breastfeeding, and there is no urgency to introduce formula as long as I am happy eating a limited diet - which I am.

The GP agreed that the cause of the inflammation could be the bowel still healing, but if it is an allergy to something he said that the fact she is not presenting any other symptoms indicates it may not be a severe allergy and having breastmilk and being exposed to an allergen is still better than having formula.

concernedaboutheboy Fri 15-Aug-14 18:41:23

Wow: enlightened GP. Glad you can carry on.

ItWasMyOwnSilence Sat 16-Aug-14 08:55:52

I know concernedaboutheboy they're a rare breed when in comes to breastfeeding, unfortunately.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now