Talk

Advanced search

so how do u breastfeed a mewborn with a 22 month old ?

(11 Posts)
janmk Tue 01-Apr-14 20:07:23

i am on day 5 but if dh is out and dd1 wants to get up, needs changing etc....how the hell do i cope? thinking this seems very impractical...

cakeymccakington Tue 01-Apr-14 20:08:33

i can't remember, but it is possible! i had a 4yr old, 18m old and a newborn and somehow it worked.
i guess the older ones just had to wait?? or if it was urgent baby had to wait

TheScience Tue 01-Apr-14 21:22:33

Well, how would you bottlefeed a newborn and get your toddler up, or changed? One or other needs to wait. The big plus about breastfeeding for me is that you can do it one handed, or when the baby is a bit older do it in a sling and have both hands free.

janmk Tue 01-Apr-14 21:39:36

i have been bf-ing from 6pm - 9.40 with only two short breaks.......it just doesnt seem doable !

TheScience Tue 01-Apr-14 21:44:11

Cluster feeding won't last forever. Is your DH often going to be out during bedtime?

MumOfTheMoos Tue 01-Apr-14 21:45:54

I'd your DH often out in the evenings? Cos that sounds like evening cluster feeding and shouldn't last forever....

But to your question, I don't know as I only have one but a friend of mine got a nice big armchair so she could read her DDs stories whilst feeding her little DS.

MumOfTheMoos Tue 01-Apr-14 21:46:38

Ha! Cross posted with TheScience!!

TarkaTheOtter Tue 01-Apr-14 22:03:06

It gets easier. I do it on my own 4 days a week as dh works abroad and have had to get into a rhythm pretty quickly. Ds is now 12 weeks and doesn't feed as much which makes the evening "crunch points" easier. From about 5pm onwards I offer feeds whenever I can - during toddler dinner, during toddler quiet playtime, during toddler bath, whilst I read stories. Then do the things where I can't feed (cooking toddler dinner, undressing/dressing toddler) as quickly as possible.

TarkaTheOtter Tue 01-Apr-14 22:05:20

Short answer though is that if you need to change your toddler, the baby has to wait. That's just how it works with two.

jaggythistle Wed 02-Apr-14 04:51:33

I did just have a crying baby lying on the floor beside us as I changed my toddler at first.

I then found it easier once I got a sling (cheap stretchy wrap at first) and I could even have the baby in there during changes.

Apart from that baby got fed while toddler ate and during bedtime story etc.

OhPuddleducks Wed 02-Apr-14 05:42:24

One has to wait (and probably be upset about it). We had Cbeebies or Peppa DVDs on a lot in the beginning but now tend to sing or read or have a tea party when DS is feeding (23 mo. Between mine). Also he's a lot more efficient at feeding than his big sis ever was (has learnt he's got to get in there quick!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now