Talk

Advanced search

Do you ever get into a routine with bf'ing?

(9 Posts)
marleymooo Mon 31-Mar-14 18:42:27

I FF DS 1 and we were in a good routine after about 6 weeks. I knew when he was expecting a feed, when he was going to nap etc. BF DS2 (5 weeks) has been going surprisingly well. I'm really enjoying it, I started off saying I'd take one day at a time and here we are, we're really enjoying it. However there is no semblance of a routine forming whatsoever! I know this is par for the course at this stage but just wondered can I try and establish one after a while? With a toddler in tow it would be nice to be able to plan days a little rather than is it going to be a sleepy or hungry day. Thanks ladies.

RunDougalRunQuiteFast Mon 31-Mar-14 18:57:45

I vaguely followed The Baby Whisperer's EASY routine (Eat, Awake, Sleep, You or something like that, never quite got to the You bit), in that they had a sleep, fed them when they woke up, then they were awake for a while, and the cycle started again. It did morph a bit with feeding on demand, buit I definitely fed them when they woke up. That was about the sum of routine! But they were generally easy babies, I was very lucky.

MinesAPintOfTea Mon 31-Mar-14 19:02:22

Yes, but I can't remember when it happened first. By two months ds could definitely wait though and we were very relaxed feed/sleep anytime until nearly bedtime (I didn't worry about a set number of naps for example, just let him sleep on me/in the pram/in the carseat/in the sling whenever.

Would a routine help you?

MinesAPintOfTea Mon 31-Mar-14 19:04:03

Sorry, I know you said you want to have one, what I meant is aside from knowing when to feed do you want to be tied to trying to keep the baby on a routine?

CointreauVersial Mon 31-Mar-14 19:05:10

The nice thing about BF is you don't really need a routine quite so much.

Food is always on tap, available whenever, wherever......

But yes, in my case it did settle down and feeds eventually fell into a pattern.

eisbaer Mon 31-Mar-14 19:05:50

Think one is just emerging at the moment(12 wks), by which I mean definitely a couple of hrs between feeds, distract able with chatting and sounder, longer spells of sleep in evening. That said, every night is still a journey!

badidea Mon 31-Mar-14 20:05:30

I think it depends on the baby. DS1 fed all the time for months and months (lucky to go 2 hours between feeds, for the first 4 months it was every 60-90 mins during the day). I basically could never really leave him for the first 8-9 months as you just never knew when he was going to want milk (he was a fat pie baby, on the 99th centile).

However, DS2 is a totally different kettle of fish. At 2 weeks he started feeding every 2.5 hours day and night - it was like clockwork, never any earlier or later and he kept this up until about 9 weeks, when he went 5-6 hours at night and 3 hours during the day.

He also used to need a sleep every 2 hours for the first 3 months, so whenever he'd been awake for 2 hours, he'd go for a nap (DS1 fought sleep and naps all the time - so glad I got my 'hard' baby first :-)

I didn't do anything different with them, both were fed on demand but both were completely different feeders. You just never know what kind of baby you'll get.

soupmaker Mon 31-Mar-14 20:42:17

Yes. I needed some sort of routine to work around school.

At about 12 weeks DD2 got herself into a routine herself. But the beauty of BF is that you can feed any place, any time, and if the usual nap routine is knocked out, feed to sleep!

marleymooo Mon 31-Mar-14 20:44:30

Thanks a million ladies. No I don't need a routine, and I certainly won't be pushing him into one, I just wondered if he was likely to fall into into one iykwim?! Already he can go 3-4 hourly at times and he's usually only up once a night and goes down again. I'm 6 weeks post section next weekso will hopefully be getting out and about a bit more, and yes knowing when he'll need a feed would be convenient but as one poster said I have the equipment with me so its not a big deal!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now