Talk

Advanced search

Thrush/mastitis advise

(7 Posts)
MrsCaptainJackSparrow Mon 31-Mar-14 09:25:30

Hi, I've had thrush and mastitis in my right breast. Was treated with nystatin and ds had daktarin. 11 days later got antibiotics as still in a lot of pain. I think the antibiotics are working as the redness and swelling has gone down but I think the thrush us back. After feeding I get the little prickly pains in my breast and pain in my nipple.
Do I need to go back to the gp for a 4th time or is there and something else I can do?

Superworm Mon 31-Mar-14 23:29:27

Sorry you've had a rough time. Mastitis sucks, as does thrush.

How old is your baby?

MrsCaptainJackSparrow Tue 01-Apr-14 10:29:17

Thanks for the reply. My ds has just turned 1.
I went back to the doctors and they gave me more nystatin.

NotQuiteCockney Tue 01-Apr-14 21:46:23

Do you only have thrush symptoms on one side? Generally, thrush tends to spread from one side to the other, quite quickly.

What symptoms do you have, exactly?

NachoAddict Tue 01-Apr-14 21:52:33

I had a terrible time with thrush when ds was a few months old. My poor nipple was so cracked that ds was posseting blood.

My GP fobbed me off so I went to three separate chemist and bought thrush tablets. That plus the small dose the doctor allowed me finally cleared it up. I had to lie and say it was for vaginal thrush. Fluconazole it was called and at 10 a go it cost a fortune!

I got some cream for my nipples which was advertised as athletes foot treatment I think it was something nitrate and an oral gel for ds possibly oraldene?

I will see if I can google the advice.

The best treatment for the mastitis I got with the thrush was to feed through it. Easier said than done. Also in a hot shower firmly try hand expressing to try and ease any blockages.

NachoAddict Tue 01-Apr-14 21:58:03

www.breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk/thrush-and-breastfeeding.html

The cream I was thinking of is mentioned in the pdf on this link. Daktacort, it is athletes foot treatment which put me off at first but it did the job!

Giid luck OP.

nailslikeknives Tue 01-Apr-14 22:00:03

I had thrush in my breasts while b/fing. The GPs didn't take it seriously and prescribed 1/2 of the medication necessary, so it came back and back. Eventually my HV gave me a leaflet with the government recommendations for medication which was either 2 or 4 oral canestan every day. I'm sorry I can't quite remember.
Armed with the leaflet, I went back to the GP and insisted on the right medication. She made me sign a disclaimer and told me it was a dose usually given to patients with HIV. I was so glad I pushed because getting the right dose for the full time finally got rid of it.

You know that if you have thrush, you need to treat the baby with oral medication for the same amount of time or you'll just pass it between you. Even if there are no visual signs of thrush - white specks in the baby's mouth - you still need to do this.

Good luck, I hope you get the right treatment soon, ask your HV for help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now