Talk

Advanced search

11 weeks, 2 hourly night feeds

(13 Posts)
AuntFlossy Mon 31-Mar-14 01:43:30

hmm I'm sooooo freaking tired! My DD wakes every 2 hours throughout the night and her feeds can take anything up to 2 hours at a time. I was really hoping that she would start to at least do 3 hourly now but if anything she's getting gradually worse! When did everyone's little ones start to stretch out their feeds? I'm breastfeeding and have started getting DH to give her a bedtime bottle so I can go go bed but it makes little difference to how long she sleeps all it does is buy me an extra half an hour while he feeds her so I can scuttle off to bed as fast as I can!

I have two other DC and I'm absolutely exhausted confused

AndIFeedEmGunpowder Mon 31-Mar-14 05:17:45

Oh Flossy I'm not surprised you are exhausted! Is this a new thing (i.e could if be a growth spurt?) or has your DD always fed like this?

I think I would try and see a breast feeding counsellor or lactation consultant in real life if feeds have always taken this long, there might be something they can do to improve your latch.

I know having a tiny baby is supposed to be tiring but your situation sounds knackering! Hope you can feed her lying down and snooze at the same time.

AuntFlossy Mon 31-Mar-14 05:33:51

Her latch isn't great I know as its still quite sore feeding her. She's had a tongue tie and lip tie lasered which did help but now I'm sore again confused

She's always been terrible at night with the exception of the first 2 weeks. The above is actually an improvement as for weeks I literally sat up with her all night long until I gave in at 4am and gave her to my husband so I could catch a couple of hours sleep.

I guess she doesn't spend the whole / hours feeding its more like half an hour each boob and then ages trying to settle her off to sleep.

AuntFlossy Mon 31-Mar-14 05:35:02

Also she struggles feeding lying down and starts to flap about and cry so I end up sitting up anyway hmm

AndIFeedEmGunpowder Mon 31-Mar-14 05:44:44

See what you mean. Do you think the tongue tue could have reformed? (Not even sure if that is possible when it's lasered.)

I'm so sorry you are in this situation, so

AndIFeedEmGunpowder Mon 31-Mar-14 05:45:09

Sorry pressed post too soon!

Sounds very hard.

AuntFlossy Mon 31-Mar-14 17:23:45

I really don't know but that's what I'm worried about sad how can I tell?

AndIFeedEmGunpowder Mon 31-Mar-14 18:03:30

Can you have a look under her tongue? If she will let you, you might be able to see the flap restricting her tongue.

I'd get back in touch with the surgeon/lactation consultant who divided the tie if I were you and ask their advice. If it has re-attached would be good to get it sorted before she's three month old.

I'm so sorry, it must be so frustrating. sad

josephine1986 Mon 31-Mar-14 19:24:53

Cosleeping might be your saviour until she stretches out feeds!
Honestly I don't know how you do it without cosleeping. Dd sometimes wakes as much as every hour towards dawn. And lately during growth spurt has wanted food on tap pretty much all night. She doesn't even wake up, and I hardly do, just latch her on check time sip of water and back to sleep!

Superworm Mon 31-Mar-14 23:20:25

Definitely get the TT looked at again. That sound like a really long time to be feeding for. DS's TT reattached and I had to keep getting it done. He outgrew it eventually.

Positioning at night is also key. Hard though when it's dark and you're exhausted. I would get some RL support. Does she have reflux?

Louloo2012 Tue 01-Apr-14 19:07:38

My baby is 13 weeks and still up every two hours as well. Am getting really sore aga

Louloo2012 Tue 01-Apr-14 19:14:16

Oops...

Sore again and taking ages to force myself to attach. Sleeping is completely out of the question for the pain. Have resisted the urge till now but thinking of giving her her thumb to suck but maybe this would make it worse? Her days and nights have exactly the same pattern. The other thing I am considering is having supper to add calories to my milk but not sure if it works like that? Sorry I have no solutions but I do know exactly how you feel. Have taken to staying home all the time and just napping every time she does which helps.

soaccidentprone Tue 01-Apr-14 19:20:44

Ds2 fed every 2 hours day and night until he started on solids (he is now 12, so what every age it was then). The only time he slept for longer I was convinced he must have died and just sat and watched him breathing till he woke up!

Anyway you have my utmost sympathy. Fortunately ds1 was at school, so I just used to sleep when ds2 slept, night or day. And we co-slept.

He was (and still is) so very different from ds1!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now