Talk

Advanced search

A question about sterilising

(10 Posts)
onceipopicantstop Sun 30-Mar-14 20:32:35

Possibly a daft question...
If I put several bottles in the electric steriliser, and then remove one to use, do I need to resterilise the rest before using them?? Does opening the steriliser make anything I don't use immediately non-sterile? Or is it ok as long as I don't touch the other bits?
Thanks

PotOfYoghurt Sun 30-Mar-14 22:19:25

It's fine. The main reason bottles are sterilised is because if milk deposits are on the bottle it can be a haven for bacteria, it's not about having a completely sterile environment.

Doodle1983 Mon 31-Mar-14 11:40:55

Why don't you sterilise the bottles then open the steriliser and fix all the bottles together ? Then they are sterile until you come to use them?

onceipopicantstop Mon 31-Mar-14 14:19:35

Thanks for the replies. How long would they remain sterile if I put them together?

ilovepowerhoop Mon 31-Mar-14 14:26:39

assemble them and they should be ok for 24 hours

onceipopicantstop Mon 31-Mar-14 14:30:41

Great - that will make things easier!! I had visions of having to sterilise for every overnight feed!

Doodle1983 Mon 31-Mar-14 17:11:56

Nope! I've had a million questions about bottle feeding and my friend told me to make the bottles up. It's so much easier ! X

NomDeClavier Mon 31-Mar-14 17:20:08

If you're really paranoid then chuck them in Milton.

You can make batches of bottles and store them for night feeds. It's easier than waiting for water to cool to 70C then making the bottle then cooking it under running water and only marginally less safe as long as you use very hot water to mix the powder, cool it quickly and store them at the back of the fridge.

Of course if you have a clever perfect prep machine you don't need to do that so you just need to work out how your bottles clean.

Doodle1983 Mon 31-Mar-14 21:51:38

I'm current watching prep machines on eBay!

onceipopicantstop Tue 01-Apr-14 08:45:15

We have bought a perfect prep machine - half price on amazon!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now