Talk

Advanced search

What is this? Please help

(18 Posts)
Avenahoo Sun 30-Mar-14 11:26:02

Hi everyone.

I have been EBF my 20 week old with not a single problem. However, this morning I have woken up with a very hard and painful right breast. It feels exactly as it did when the milk first came in, totally engorged and sore to touch. Dd latched on but it has made no difference.
Anyone shed any light on this as I really don't know what to do.
Thanks.

ilovepowerhoop Sun 30-Mar-14 11:28:20

mastitis?

ilovepowerhoop Sun 30-Mar-14 11:29:23

www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Mastitis/Pages/Treatment.aspx

learnasyougo Sun 30-Mar-14 11:31:58

I had this. Do you have a red patch that is warm to touch and sore?

Have a warm bath, then get the breast pump on it and pump for ages, massaging any hard or lumpy areas. You need to get all the backed up milk out through blocked ducts before an infection can set in. I pumped for about 45 minutes, massaging continuously. That sorted it. The warm bath facilitates the release of milk but isn't essential.

minipie Sun 30-Mar-14 11:34:57

Probably a blocked milk duct, which can turn into mastitis if you don't get it cleared. Massage in a hot shower or bath and hand express until it softens and is less sore, then once it's flowing better, feed to get it fully clear.

may have happened if you slept on your boob or something like that?

if you get any red patch or fever it's likely to be mastitis and you'll need antibiotics ASAP. but many blockages can be cleared before getting to that stage.

Avenahoo Sun 30-Mar-14 11:40:29

I don't have a pump and it's Sunday. It's really hard now despite massaging. sad

BertieBotts Sun 30-Mar-14 11:46:23

It could be a blocked duct. Not mastitis yet most likely.

First, take it as easy as possible - act as though you are ill and do NOTHING - if you get mastitis you will be laid up for about a week or so so a day or two in bed is worth it to avoid that.

Look up hand expressing technique - this is what I found most helpful. Think about your baby or look at your baby while doing it to help letdown, you can also stimulate letdown by "drawing" (with your finger) lines from the fuller part of your breast to the nipple all around (like sun rays) and a spiral going from the fuller part of your boob to the nipple. For some reason it helps, probably psychological. Do this before you start hand expressing.

If you can find where the actual blockage is, it's best to try and get that out - you can use a blunt, wide toothed comb in the shower to "comb" it towards the nipple, when hand expressing put your thumb on that side, when feeding, have baby's chin on that side (which may involve acrobatics like lying them on a bed and dangling the boob in from above if it's in an awkward place)

You can take ibuprofen to reduce swelling. Also alternate cold/hot compresses. Cold to reduce swelling, hot to stimulate letdown to get the milk out. A pump was totally useless and painful IME.

If you feel flu like symptoms then go to your GP/out of hours immediately as you'll need antibiotics to clear the mastitis ASAP.

Good luck!

BertieBotts Sun 30-Mar-14 11:47:19

Massaging won't help and is likely to make it worse. You need the proper hand expression technique. Marmet or something it's called?

Avenahoo Sun 30-Mar-14 11:51:58

I really don't know anything about mastitis and a quick read up has me in a panic! I will try all these things you have suggested Bertie. Thanks.
Can this spell the end of bf?

ilovepowerhoop Sun 30-Mar-14 12:05:51

Of course it doesn't mean the end of breastfeeding!

TisforTiger Sun 30-Mar-14 12:12:01

If you get a temp or feel unwell get yourself to out of hours GP, don't wait till tomorrow. I had mastitis repeatedly and felt a lot better once I had antibiotics for the day.

TisforTiger Sun 30-Mar-14 12:12:59

Obviously you don't just take them for a day!!!

BertieBotts Sun 30-Mar-14 12:36:58

No not necessarily, you can and should feed through it and even if your supply drops just feed feed feed afterwards, it will come back up.

Google the marmet hand expression technique, there are videos/pictures/written guides whichever you find most helpful.

The important part is to get the milk out, if you can clear the blockage you can avoid mastitis.

Call the LLL helpline if you need to - 0845 120 2918. It's volunteers in their own homes (I once got someone's husband and started explaining my boob problem - he hurriedly said, oh, um, I think you need my wife, hang on a minute! blush) - just say "Is this the La Leche League feeding helpline?" when you get connected. That's where I got the great tips about hand expressing and it was also just nice to hear a lovely supportive real person on the phone too.

Raxacoricofallapatorius Sun 30-Mar-14 15:02:36

I get a blocked duct every time I ovulate and I've bf for 6 years in total. You have to find what works for you. I never had any luck with combing or warm/cold compresses, made things v sore usually and increased the blockage. I found that ibuprofen, hand expressing and offering a feed as often as practicable usually cleared things within a day or so. The relief when it clears is immense and the milk usually gushes out with force. You may have slept funny or even things like a bra wire digging into a duct can do it.

Don't be alarmed by how bruised and sore you feel afterwards.take ibuprofen and rest. I've had many, many blocked ducts and only developed mastitis twice.

Avenahoo Sun 30-Mar-14 18:39:26

Update: a friend brought a hand pump that got things flowing a little then I sat in a hot bath and hand expressed, this is when I saw what appeared to be a small white spot on my nipple. With a little prising, it came away and then out squirted a flow of milk which kept going for at least 5 minutes, without any pressure from me. The relief was almost instant, and whilst I still feel firm and tender it is in no way as painful or engorged as this morning. Is this what the problem was? And what should I continue to do if anything?
Thanks so much for your helpful replies.

BertieBotts Sun 30-Mar-14 19:40:15

Aha, that sounds like it smile Crisis averted!

Take some ibuprofen if it is sore. If not, feed as usual, try to avoid any restrictive clothes like tight bras on that side, try not to sleep on your front or on that boob side tonight, the feeling will pass.

Oh and in case Raxa's ovulation theory is right - make sure you're using contraception!

Avenahoo Sun 30-Mar-14 19:54:24

Lol DH wishes! Dd fed from side in question and it feels a million times better smile
Thanks again!

Raxacoricofallapatorius Sun 30-Mar-14 21:58:45

I do believe the technical term for the little white spot is a bleb! Glad you're sorted now. Just take it easy and the bruised feeling will pass.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now