Talk

Advanced search

What do you do when someone is giving not great advice about breastfeeding?

(10 Posts)
hazchem Sun 30-Mar-14 09:54:50

I'm on a breastfeeding facebook group. Someone has asked about what food you can't eat while breastfeeding. I've replied everything is fine general. Others are putting things about chocolate making their so milk rich baby spews curds ect.
I've already provided a good kellymom link so think I shouldn't add anything else but I think those sort of stories to first time breastfeeding mums make it harder.
I'm probably over thinking this.

CbeebiesIsAboutToPop Sun 30-Mar-14 09:57:22

I think all you can do is give your own pers

CbeebiesIsAboutToPop Sun 30-Mar-14 10:00:13

Oops!!

Personal expiearience eg 'I've never had a problem eating chocolate etc, I've found that maybe spicy curries make his nappy more runny, but according to the kelly mom site I linked to earlier you don't have to avoid anything. I guess everyone is different though, so if you notice a food is a problem cut down/cut it out'

hazchem Mon 31-Mar-14 02:13:57

Thanks. That is nice balanced response.

tiktok Mon 31-Mar-14 11:35:58

Someone will own the Facebook group. Tell them privately of your concerns. There should be a disclaimer on the page that tells users people's posts are personal opinion unless otherwise stated.

Personally I dislike myth and misunderstanding being presented as fact. People's own individual experiences are often misinterpreted by the. Individual. Chocolate making babies sick or thickening the milk is just physiologically impossible for example. Challenge politely !

hazchem Mon 31-Mar-14 21:46:49

Yes it's the myth build on experience that I have a problem with because I think it makes it much harder for other women.
One of the admin is part of the issue which makes things a bit harder.
I'm considering leaving the group because I find some of the myths too hard to challenge but then think sometime you need a voice of reason. It's one of the reasons I'm considering become a breastfeeding counselor.

missknows Tue 01-Apr-14 05:54:04

I eat so much chocolate. The doctor says my 10 week old is perfect :-) (you can tell them that)

wigglylines Tue 01-Apr-14 06:06:03

Most people don't read links IMO. Maybe try posting the link for those that do, but also copying and pasting the important bits.

hazchem Tue 01-Apr-14 21:44:21

That's a good idea wigglylines thanks

hazchem Tue 01-Apr-14 21:45:03

congratulations on your prefect 10 week old missknows smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now