Talk

Advanced search

Stopped BF a week ago and now have painful lumps - am I at risk of mastitis?

(7 Posts)
EagleRay Sat 29-Mar-14 20:33:48

I stopped BF 14mo DD a week ago, and at the same time I started taking the drug Cabergoline, which inhibits prolactin as I have a pituitary tumour which makes my prolactin levels excessively high.

My breasts were intially engorged, but now not so much, but they are very painful, especially if DD accidentally hits of headbuts them. I wasn't sure if the pain was a side effect of the drug (I had this happen before when I started taking it a few years ago) but tonight I've felt a load of lumps in them, mostly in the sides where they are closest to my arm.

Does this sound normal a week after stopping BF, and should I do anything about it? I think because of the pain and stress of weaning DD off BF, I've avoided looking at/touching them blush, but am now a bit worried about mastitis.

minipie Sat 29-Mar-14 20:42:09

You need to massage and hand express (just a little) until the lumps go, otherwise yes you are at risk of mastitis. Hot bath or hot flannel will help loosen it all up so you can massage it out. Keep an eye out for any red patch on the boob, if you get this you need antibiotics pronto.

using a wide tooth comb on the boob apparently helps (never tried it myself) and Savoy cabbage leaves in the bra apparently helps reduce milk production and inflammation as well.

minipie Sat 29-Mar-14 20:43:24

ps sorry I realise my post sounds a bit panicky! mostly lumps will disappear with a bit of massage.

EagleRay Sat 29-Mar-14 20:49:49

Thanks for the advice Minipie - I'll go and have a poking/prodding session now then have some wine to cheer myself up. I think I was in denial as wanted to be totally free of BF by now!

minipie Sat 29-Mar-14 22:03:11

How many feeds a day were you doing before you stopped? the usual advice is to stop one feed, then give it a few days for your boobs to adapt before stopping the next.

EagleRay Sat 29-Mar-14 22:40:57

I was still on around 3 per day, and found it impossible to cut down gradually from this (had been trying for quite a while but DD got too distressed) so went cold turkey when we had the opportunity (DP isn't here during the week so we started last friday when he was here to help distract her). I had to go back on the medication I mentioned in my first post and BF not advised then so it's been v tricky to manage the whole process.

Since I last posted I plucked up the courage to have a look in the mirror and my poor boobs looked like they were stuffed with marbles - you could actually see the blocked areas through the skin sad I pumped and massaged both sides and they're tons better now, thank goodness.

minipie Sun 30-Mar-14 10:06:27

ah ok, guess you may need to massage and hand express a bit for a week or two then so that your supply cuts down gradually. it's good that you've managed to clear the marbles fairly easily. avoid underwired/tight bras/sleeping on your front till they settle down. hope the weaning goes ok for you and dd.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now