Talk

Advanced search

Aptamil Reflux Milk Preparation

(6 Posts)
IAmABam Sat 29-Mar-14 16:20:52

Can this formula be made up in advance? It seems like its going to take almost an hour to make up a bottle from scratch, that's a long time with a screaming baby.

Also my LO only poos every 3 days as it is, how much worse is her constipation likely to get if I change from premade to this formula?

ExBrightonBell Sat 29-Mar-14 19:31:28

I have no experience with this, but didn't want your post to go unanswered... apologies if this is not useful.

The Aptamil website says that you shouldn't make the bottles up in advance for this particular formula. I would presume that this is because you have to make the formula up with water at 40deg not 70deg. At 40deg the water is too cold to kill off any bugs in the powder, so making up in advance and keeping for more than 2 hours could result in bacteria breeding and making babies poorly.

However, you can keep a bottle for up to 2hrs, so perhaps you could start to make a bottle up about 1.5 hours after the last feed. Then with the boiled water cooling for 45 mins (as per the instructions), you would have a feed available for when you would probably need it?

Chocoholism Sat 29-Mar-14 20:13:30

I bought it, used it for one feed as it was just not practical and it was like milkshake thick so hard for my DD to drink, to be honest I don't know how bad your baby has the reflux problem but I just had to ride it out and she got a lot better around 12 weeks. Good luck!

ilovepowerhoop Sat 29-Mar-14 20:18:36

has she been prescribed any reflux meds instead?

IAmABam Sat 29-Mar-14 20:37:01

I'm going to see the doctor about it on Monday, I just keep getting told she'll grow out of it. She's 15 weeks now and up until this point I've been focussing more on her colic, constipation & wind as that seemed to bother her more. Now her reflux seems to be the bigger problem I thought I'd give this a try over the weekend. I just don't see how it can be possible to do each bottle fresh when they take so long to make and babies don't feed on an exact schedule (well mine doesn't anyway hmm)

Chocoholism Sat 29-Mar-14 21:44:08

Ah sorry to hear your LO still suffers with reflux, it is awful but all I can think to say is hang in there, a few people I know said gaviscon can help. But like you I found the aptamil reflux milk just too impractical. Oh I just thought, something I did that helped was change milk from aptamil to cow and gate. You prob have tried that but worth a shot. Good luck,

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now