Talk

Advanced search

Newborn breastfeeding questions

(9 Posts)
NotWithoutMyMerkin Fri 28-Mar-14 05:28:30

I have a 1 week old newborn who is ebf. Between day 3 and 5 she was producing a dirty nappy (yellow seedy poo) with pretty much every feed (so 10+ nappies per day). Yesterday we had only 2 dirty nappies in the morning (3am and 8am) and nothing since (but lots of straining and farting). Is this normal? She had started to regain weight on day 4 so I was hoping we had cracked the bfing but am now worrying

Also I have sore nipples, caused by poor latch in the first few days. I have since had the latch observed and was told it was fine. Should I expect that if the latch was correct that my nipples would no longer hurt during feeding or is it expected that they will continue to be sore during feeds until they heal even if the latch is now correct? I am using lanisoh

NotWithoutMyMerkin Fri 28-Mar-14 11:06:10

Anyone?

atomicyoghurt Fri 28-Mar-14 11:09:48

Hi
Your nippers will hurt if you had a poor latch and they got sore. Latch on, then count to 10.if you still have pain then break the last with your little finger and try again..
Keep going until you have no pain after a count of 10.

Dont worry two poos a day is fine. As long as the e is something going through a nd there is wee (you can check by putting a bit of cotton wool in the nappy as sometimes you can't tell just by looking.

FoodieMum3 Fri 28-Mar-14 14:03:28

Have you had baby checked for tongue tie?

NotWithoutMyMerkin Fri 28-Mar-14 14:13:27

Yes she has def not got a tongue tie

FrankelandFilly Fri 28-Mar-14 16:41:06

Wotcha Merks, when I chatted to a BF counsellor yesterday she said cracked nipples should heal within a few days of correcting the latch. Unfortunately that's not quite happened for me yet! Don't get me wrong, it's definitely better and the Lansinoh is helping. I'm also making sure I change breast pads several times a day as I'm leaking quite a bit and the pads start to chafe if they're too damp.

I'm hoping that our session with the cranial osteopath yesterday will have helped. In my case it could be that DD is still not quite latched correctly due to the muscle stiffness in her neck/back.

If my nipples are still sore and cracked in a week's time I plan to go to my GP to get some medicated cream or something to promote the healing.

Quodlibet Fri 28-Mar-14 22:42:08

Hi Merkin

My experience was that even after I improved the latch, it still took a while for nipples to stop being sore and for BF to be truly comfortable - I think it was week 5 or so that I stopped having to breathe out when latching on! Even if your latch is perfect from the get go I still reckon for a lot of people your nipple has to do a fair bit of adjusting to its new purpose - mine totally changed shape! Keep slathering on Lanisoh before and after every feed.

It's worth dropping in to a milk spot a few times in early days if you can to be observed and to have the support/advice.

Re the poos - I think the advise above is pretty sound, I think it can vary a bit in the early days.

HoneyBadgerPersonified Fri 28-Mar-14 22:50:45

It took 3 weeks for my nipples to heal when bf ds1 (they were pretty bad though) then fine afterward.
He averaged about one dirty nappy a day while on breast milk.

nappyrat Sat 29-Mar-14 22:46:41

Try rubbing your nipples with some of your milk after each feed - my midwife have me this advice and it did help. I also used lanisoh.

Keep getting advice. I don't know if everywhere in the uk does it, but my midwife came out to my house one Sunday - day 8 - and spent 30mins watching & advising and it was great.

Good luck - keep at it as bf is amazing if it can work out. :-))

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now