Talk

Advanced search

Advice on milk supply (extended breastfeeding)

(4 Posts)
1proudmamma Thu 27-Mar-14 21:45:51

Hi, i am still breastfeeding my son who is 3 in June. He only feeds in a morning an before bed, but i have to go for surgery i will be in hospital for 48 hours and wondered if any knew what affect it would have on my milk supply? I have no desire to stop but since he feeds so little i get nothing when i try to express so that's not an option for while i am away from him. I get no help or advice from anyone else as no one i know agrees with extended breastfeeding and everyone just keeps saying 'oh well time to stop then'!!

ExBrightonBell Thu 27-Mar-14 22:10:20

I would imagine that with a well established bfeeding relationship, that your supply could cope with a 48 hrs break. Your DS may just want to feed a bit more when you are back around.

You could express (if you can) when in hospital, even if you don't really get any milk, just to simulate a feed.

1proudmamma Thu 27-Mar-14 22:51:38

Thank you for the advice, trying to express certainly makes sense. Really appreciate your help. xx

10000Fireflies Fri 28-Mar-14 12:30:09

You could try contacting La Leche League or the NCT breastfeeding helpline. Good luck, and well done for keeping up with the BF with no support.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now